Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Grand Sport - Brake Dust

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

KP99

Corvette
2012 SuperSonic Blue GS
Have a 2010 Grand Sport. It is an awsome machine.
But, have one issue, severe brake dust issue. Have only 2500 miles.
What can be done about this brake dust problem.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
How can you eliminate or cut down on the problem?
Would love to hear your idea's.

Have a 2010 Grand Sport. It is an awsome machine.
But, have one issue, severe brake dust issue. Have only 2500 miles.
What can be done about this brake dust problem.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
How can you eliminate or cut down on the problem?
Would love to hear your idea's.

My 2010 GS Vert has 1500 miles on it now and yes, there is a tremendous amount of brake dust generated. The chrome rims really show it too. May have to consider a ceramic brake pad at replacement time.

My 2010 GS Vert has 1500 miles on it now and yes, there is a tremendous amount of brake dust generated. The chrome rims really show it too. May have to consider a ceramic brake pad at replacement time.

Ditto, with 5k miles.

:w
Guy

Wish I had the same problem you guys are experiencing... with a new CRM GS convertible, that is. ;squint:

:L

Seriously though, I wonder about products for rims similar to the Zaino, Adams and Meguires polishes for finishes. The Zaino products I use on my Vette create such a slick finish that even when I know it's dirty, people still commend me on how great it looks. The finish is so slick that nothing - or at least very little - sticks to it. It would seem to reason that brake dust wouldn't cling to the same type of finish for rims.

One suggestion I learned from a thread in the Care and Detail forum: get yourself a swiffer duster
pdt_pak_duster3.gif
to spruce up the rims between washings and that will at least keep it looking presentable.

:wJane Ann

Most Corvetters who are concerned about brake dust are usually not concerned about maximum braking performance.

If that's the case, the best solution is to change from traditional brake pads to some of the pads which use a ceramic based friction material which tends to emit less dust.

On the other hand, if ultimate braking performance is desired...say for track day or other performance driving activities...I'd learn to live with the dust.

Brake Dust

I own a C-5 and was discouraged by the same problem. Your Grand Sport has a lot more friction surface than mine so I am sure you create a lot of dust in a short time. I installed a set of Hawk street pads on all 4 wheels. Less dust, lighter in color, quiet, kind to your rotors. The pads have been installed for over a year with abosolutely no problems. I recommended them to a friend with a C-6 Z06. He has had them on his car for 6 months or longer and is glad he made the change. I think you will find them to be just what you want.

9k miles on my GS and yes the brake dust is annoying. But I prefer that to changing to ceramic

Competition Grey wheels - it's hard to tell that they are dusty! :D

My CTS V with Brembo Brakes dusts like crazy. So does my O8 vert with the big brakes but the vert has the Comp Grey wheels and it doesn't look as bad as quickly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom