Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Grand Sport Gen 2 tire chatter

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.
tires

That's what the Chevrolet engineer told me as well. "Heat 'em up, it won't break". Yeah, he actually said that. My concern is that massive wheel-hop can break stuff, and the wheel-hop IS massive. I was told by a Michelin rep that they will soon be releasing their all-season ultra-performance Pilot Sport AS/3 tire in a ZP (runflat) config for the Grand Sport application. I will consider this tire when the OEM's wear out, as I do not track the car, and am willing to sacrifice a tenth or two to get a friendlier tire.

Update

That's what the Chevrolet engineer told me as well. "Heat 'em up, it won't break". Yeah, he actually said that. My concern is that massive wheel-hop can break stuff, and the wheel-hop IS massive. I was told by a Michelin rep that they will soon be releasing their all-season ultra-performance Pilot Sport AS/3 tire in a ZP (runflat) config for the Grand Sport application. I will consider this tire when the OEM's wear out, as I do not track the car, and am willing to sacrifice a tenth or two to get a friendlier tire.

Update - I called Michelin yesterday (3/2/15) to find out the status of the AS/3 tire release and the guy I spoke with denied they were coming out with a Grand Sport fitment. Which either means he doesn't know or the previous guy was blowin' smoke up my dupa. The guy I spoke with yesterday didn't seem real sharp, but I think he was right, sadly. I guess not enough demand to justify production in GS sizing. This means the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP is the only Michelin in GS sizes that are ZP (run-flat). These are summer tires, just like the OEM Goodyears. Oh well.

Update - I called Michelin yesterday (3/2/15) to find out the status of the AS/3 tire release and the guy I spoke with denied they were coming out with a Grand Sport fitment. Which either means he doesn't know or the previous guy was blowin' smoke up my dupa. The guy I spoke with yesterday didn't seem real sharp, but I think he was right, sadly. I guess not enough demand to justify production in GS sizing. This means the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP is the only Michelin in GS sizes that are ZP (run-flat). These are summer tires, just like the OEM Goodyears. Oh well.

While "all weather" tires for a performance car like the GS and Z06 is a bit of an oxymoron, I had really good all weather performance on both my Z and GS with Bridgestone Pole Position Potenzas. They are great in the wet and slush, and waaaaay better than OEMs in Winter driving. Just a really great all-around choice.

tires or ice skates?

While "all weather" tires for a performance car like the GS and Z06 is a bit of an oxymoron, I had really good all weather performance on both my Z and GS with Bridgestone Pole Position Potenzas. They are great in the wet and slush, and waaaaay better than OEMs in Winter driving. Just a really great all-around choice.

I went on Tire Rack, read several reviews on the Bridgestones, and liked what I read. Also saw that the tire had a slightly higher wear index than the OEM's. At a substantial savings over what I consider the junk OEM's, I will seriously consider them as replacements. I generally am a Michelin fan, so I will likely also consider the Pilots at the higher price point. But the Bridgestones interest me.... Thanks for the tip.

Not exactly correct. It is called the Ackermann Effect. A man named Georg Lankensperger, a wooden wheel maker, figured out how to beat it in the early 1800s.

Lankensperger figured out how to make a pair of wheels turn smoothly in two separate arcs. You see, when you turn the steering wheel of your car all the way to the right, for example, the left or outer wheel travels in a larger circle than the right or inner wheel.

Lankensperger figured out that if the inside wheel is turned at a greater angle than the outside wheel, it won't skip over the pavement and make that thumping noise that's prevalent in the 2014 Corvette.

Corvette engineers decided the Stingray's tight turning radius is more important than eliminating the Ackermann Effect, said Chevrolet spokesman Monte Doran. It comes into play only at parking-lot speeds.
Vette's thumping rubs some drivers the wrong way

Tire size and rubber compound has nothing to do with it as it is a trick with angles. If the designer didn't want it; he would have followed Lankensperger's "trick."

It is something the designers of the Corvette chose to ignore.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom