Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Replica

P

poorrichard

I'm new, so please forgive any and all dumb questions. I want to build a '63 Grand Sport Replica Coupe.I have nothing to start with but this forum. I will not want to use a mid-year car if at all possible. Is it possible? I want a updated frame with C4/C5 suspension. Where do I start?

Poorrichard.

That has always been one of my dream project, several years ago there was a manufacturor of GS replica bodys at the Lima Ohio Corvette swap meet he was from south Ohio. You may want to subscribe to one of the "Kit Car" mags to find a Body supplier. There are several Members who have done a "Vette Rod" using a tube frame and C4/C5 components I think it is called SR111.
Good luck Welcome to CAC and post pictures
Craig sr.

There was a guy in Corvette magazine that did one…
Good luck and happy hunting.

I'm building my 3rd one now. Call Jeff Leach At Mid America in Milan Ill. There are others based on the D&D kits.But Jeffs way is the best. If you need more info email me. Brian G.

poorrichard said:
I'm new, so please forgive any and all dumb questions. I want to build a '63 Grand Sport Replica Coupe.I have nothing to start with but this forum. I will not want to use a mid-year car if at all possible. Is it possible? I want a updated frame with C4/C5 suspension. Where do I start?

Poorrichard.

Five years ago there were five outfits making GS kits; GM has since shut four of them down, and the only one still in business is Jeff Leach (Mid-America), noted in Brian G's post above. He uses his own replica tube frame with C4/C5 suspension and brakes and starts with a donor production coupe body.

I built a D&D GS in '95, but they're one of the four that were shut down.

200222815154-4-GSscan5(2).jpg

:beer

Keep those pictures coming!! Why would GM shut down a replica builder it doesn't make sense to me, why shut down one segment of the aftermarket and not the replacement parts manufacturors?
:confused:confused

bossvette said:
Keep those pictures coming!! Why would GM shut down a replica builder it doesn't make sense to me, why shut down one segment of the aftermarket and not the replacement parts manufacturors?
:confused:confused

Probably due to a licensing disagreement or no license at all.

Thanks for all the info, you've all given me a great start. Thanks again.

poorrichard

Welcome Smitty,

I may need to come over and look around one of these days.

Tom

Welcome to come over

Tom

You are welcome to stop by at any time.

I speed most of my time working in the shop.

Recomened you let me know when you might stop I might be running parts.

Smitty

Bob
Thanks for the welcome.
Let me know when you want the headlight covers and I will get them out.

Smitty
a.k.a. vettsmith

vette...are the main tubes 3" or 4"...any idea on wall thickness?

any idea on front/rear and total weights?

just startin similar "street rod" project,thinking of using "ac cobra"(sorry) type frame vs birdcage...concerned over torsional strength...how does yours work?

Speedmaster$

The frame has 4" thin wall tubing for the main rails & cross tubes.
I do not know what thw wall thickness but I will find out and let you know.
The frame was built as a race car frame and one car did the lap of America with no problems.
The silver Grand Sport has a 464hp small block in it and there has been some with 545 big block in them.
hope this is helpful
Smitty
A.K.A. vettsmith

Smitty,
I thought that your name sounded familliar. I have visited your shop a couple of times in the past. I first was looking for a C2 then I came out last winter to look at your grandsport, it was still in the frame stage. Just thought I'd let you know I baught a 67 427-400 coupe w/ 50k miles and I love it. Have cross paths in the spring. Good to hear from you.. Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom