Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport resale values?

Corvette
1996 Grand Sport #802
OK, I am considering buying a pristine GS with 9K gentle miles for a good price compared to others listed privately and at retailers.
When new, the car was shipped directly from the dealership to Doug Rippie who did his 383/480 package as well as all the suspension, brake, and driveline options he offered, $26K worth according to documents.
My question for the Corvette experts here is how would you think the resale value of this car will compare to a lightly-modded '94 model ZR-1 w/ approx. 30K miles?
It seems the GS resale values for low-mile examples are dropping very slowly - maybe no worse than the Zs.
I figure that DRM mods, like LPE (Lingenfelter) mods don't kill the resale that bad compared to "backyard" mods for those guys like me who want a little more go, maybe I'm wrong.
Also, I'm not buying this as an investment just a Sat morning driver that I don't want to get hammered on when I turn it 2 -5 years from now.
Thank you o brainy ones for your knowledge (or at least opinions) :upthumbs

Solid Investment!!!!!!!!!

Go ahead and do it, the GS is the best that the C4 has offered except the ZR-1's.

As long as you keep the mileage low it will be worth something and keep it mod free except things that can be easly reversed.

If you pay in the $25,000 area you cannot get hurt 5 years down the road, but once you break 50,000 miles it will suffer in resale value period.

As a daily driver you better enjoy it and expect to lose a lot of money in resale and kiss your investment out the window.

Alan

Digital Disaster said:
OK, I am considering buying a pristine GS with 9K gentle miles for a good price compared to others listed privately and at retailers. Also, I'm not buying this as an investment just a Sat morning driver that I don't want to get hammered on when I turn it 2 -5 years from now.

GrandSport COrvettes are one of the few C4's that seem to hold strong values - Of course, some cars are better than others howver, unless you are looking at a Callaway Corvette or a Corvette Challenge car, the remaining C4's are all too common for collectabiliity on a big scale...

(IMO-There are a few others that stand out more than others, but for the long haul, those 3 are about it...)

I have a Grand Sport convertible with 11K miles...very low for a '96...and, as such, my car would still command a high price if I were to sell it. Grand Sports typically hold their value very well, but those with what is considered low miles are still selling for quite a bit. For any and all information regarding Grand Sports, check out www.grandsportregistry.com.

Elaine

Digital Disaster said:
OK, I am considering buying a pristine GS with 9K gentle miles for a good price compared to others listed privately and at retailers.
When new, the car was shipped directly from the dealership to Doug Rippie who did his 383/480 package as well as all the suspension, brake, and driveline options he offered, $26K worth according to documents.
My question for the Corvette experts here is how would you think the resale value of this car will compare to a lightly-modded '94 model ZR-1 w/ approx. 30K miles?
It seems the GS resale values for low-mile examples are dropping very slowly - maybe no worse than the Zs.
I figure that DRM mods, like LPE (Lingenfelter) mods don't kill the resale that bad compared to "backyard" mods for those guys like me who want a little more go, maybe I'm wrong.
Also, I'm not buying this as an investment just a Sat morning driver that I don't want to get hammered on when I turn it 2 -5 years from now.

GS's are probably the best value holding C4's out there, the demand is far greater than the supply. rare doesn't = value unless people really like the car (take the 95 pace car for example... many people don't like the way it looks, so the limited run doesn't help the value much). 1000 GS's built, Vs. roughly 6000 Z's. if you really want a Z, you can find one, not so true about a GS.

I also agree with the DRM take, that will add value, unlike shadetree work.

However, C4 and investment should not be used in the same sentence IMO.

Corvettes have a U or V shaped curve as far as value goes, and C4's are on the decending side. If you want an investment, get a C3, they are going up in value.

I just checked out the Grand Sport Registry. There are quite a few low mileage GS out there. Wish I had the money because if I did, I would be in a GS.:D BTW, they had the DRM vehicle you were speaking of. It looks nice!

This is a tough one, 383 GS w/9k miles or 95 modded ZR-1 w/32K miles, both for around $33K.
I have a feeling the GS is a better value because of the mileage but the ZR-1 is a ZR-1 and no other car sounds like that at 7000 rpms.....

Is buying both of them out of the budget?:L

Edmond said:
Is buying both of them out of the budget?:L

Not if you send me $32K. I would even let you come over and drive one. Sometimes. ;)
Actually both of them is out of my budget, BUT THAT WONT STOP ME. :Steer

ZR-1 and don't look back!!!!!!!

That's my opinion period, it's a no brainer. I love the GS but if l had a choice it would be a ZR-1 every time and even over the C5 97/00.

Alan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom