Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Grandsport Convertible on the Track?

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

SGF

Corvette
2011 Jeststream Blue Grand Sport Convertible
About to order a 2011 GS LS3 Covertible w/6 spd manual. What do you mean I can't take it to the track on the weekend w/o a roll bar? Thought that was the big selling point. Drive to work during the week, track on the weekend. Any solutions? Can't imagine the roll bar will add to great looking convertible.:Steer

Only a fool would road race an open car without a roll bar.

Convertable on the Track Solution

I get it. Just looking for a solution. Since this is my first vet (Had a Z28 very different car) just looking to get to track once in a great while on the weekend. Had a roll bar on an old roadstar in the 80s. Are they detachable now?;shrug

You can "open road race" a convertible - up to certain speeds without the roll bar but if you want to go faster, you'll have to put a roll bar in the car. Coupes do not need the roll bar until much faster.

Speeds and Thanks

Thanks. Ignorance is bliss. How fast? Not looking to break any records. Don't want to do anything foolish. Just have a good time and not ruin the great look on this dream car. Thanks again.

Thanks. Ignorance is bliss. How fast? Not looking to break any records. Don't want to do anything foolish. Just have a good time and not ruin the great look on this dream car. Thanks again.

In the Big Bend Open Road Race, roll bars are required for "open" cars in the 115 MPH class and above - or "tech speeds" above 124 MPH. Coupes can go with out the roll bar up to 125 MPH class - "tech speeds" of 140. Tech speed classes above 140 require roll bars.

Above 110 5- or 6-point restraints are required. So, at the BBORR, you can 'race' your convertible in the 110 MPH class (tech speed of 124) without a roll bar and with only stock seat belts. I did that with my '03 vert a few years back.

Then again open road racing at these speeds are not about max performing the car or the driver but managing your timing so as to arrive at the finish line at the exact time required to average the target speed.

Since my cars are street cars first and my wife also drives and navigates, we run the 110 class only. Stock belts, no roll cage, etc. With a Vette, we're usually running on cruise control. ;)

Thanks again

Thanks again Tuna. Great News!:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom