Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grease....How much is enough??

Corvette
1973 L-48 Coupe
Im about to reassemble the brakes and bearings on the front this weekend.....I had the rotors turned after pressing new races into the disc...
my question is, how much bearing grease is good for the season?

Is simply "packing" by hand before installing them enough? or should i slap extra in the void ?

I have new stainless lines and new calipers and pads and I also got the anti-squeak inserts, I will let you know if they helped mine or not.

Its amazing that the rotors will be tossed next time they need work, there is only .008 left after turning to stay in spec...and they are still fat in size.

Just looking for simple advise and opinions on how others have approached this part of their project....

Chas:cool

Make sure that you use HIGH temp grease. I usually purchase Kendall or Valvoline products and have no failures ever with either of these products, but everyone has there own brands they like best. I purchase a pint plastic container of HIGH temp grease and just dig out about a golf ball size amount for starters in one hand and work it into one bearing at a time adding more grease in my hand as I go along. Just work the grease into the bearing real good all the way around and it should be good until you do brakes again.
Brian

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, Chas, but this is how I packed races in the past:

Like Brian mentioned, I'd put a decent-sized wad of grease on the palm-side of one hand. Holding the race in the other, with a slapping motion, I'd work one section of the race until the grease came out the other end.

I packed until the bearing resembled a grease doughnut and reinstalled. I didn't try to fill any void not covered by the excess grease on the race.

My dad was a lubrication engineer for power transmission equipment.
He always said that the difference between a machine that ran forever and one that failed early was packing the bearings initially, and added grease.
Yoo much grease causes no recirculation in the bearings. Too little causes the grease to burn.
In the bearing assembly, a 50% volume of grease, and a 50% volume of air will usually be just about right. This lets the grease "Chase" around around the bearing races and recirculate around the bearings.

At least that's what my dad taught me, and I"ve never had a wheel bearing seize.

My dad was a lubrication engineer for power transmission equipment.
He always said that the difference between a machine that ran forever and one that failed early was packing the bearings initially, and added grease.
Yoo much grease causes no recirculation in the bearings. Too little causes the grease to burn.
In the bearing assembly, a 50% volume of grease, and a 50% volume of air will usually be just about right. This lets the grease "Chase" around around the bearing races and recirculate around the bearings.

At least that's what my dad taught me, and I"ve never had a wheel bearing seize.
I'd say your Daddy was a Very Smart Man!!!!!!!:upthumbs

I'd say your Daddy was a Very Smart Man!!!!!!!:upthumbs
Let's just say that he didn't want to spend any more time on rooftops replacing 2 ton fan bearings than he had too.:L
If the mechanics did it their way, it would last a week.
If they did it his way, it would last for years and years.

Chas,
I just finished that same job last week on the 68 last week. I totally agree on the ball of grease in palm and force side of bearing into grease and force it through to the other side of bearing. But I did not pack any addition grease, I read that somewhere. The fronts are a piece a cake. Hoping the rears in the trailing arm are going to be ok.. they appear to spin ok.
Good luck.. Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom