Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Great deal on a pair of Griffin Radiators

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
For anybody that is interested. I have access to a pair of used Griffin radiators 31"x19". This is exactly what is in my car. However, I had to have the custom upper tube changed to fit my serpentine assembly. You would not need to make any changes to the radiator or your car, just custom brackets. (I can show you how to make those in about 15 minutes).

You can get these for $125 each plus whatever it would take me to package them up and ship them out. I need to know quick, as I don't have these, I would be getting them from the race shop.

Just thought I would pass it along. These kind of deals never come up when I need parts!

Hey

Me again!!! Are these rad's aluminum?? If so put me down for one. It will fit into my 77' without to much headache right??

Let me know.

the e-mail address is matt (underscore) mason @mail.northgrum.com

I will be back on that side of town on Wednesday 3/27 and will swing by the shop and pick them both up. I need to confirm one more time that they are exactly 31" x 19". That is what I have in my 69.

You would need to run a surge type tank with these radiators. I don't remember either one of them having caps on the housing. The surge tank in my opinion is a better way to go anyway. Most modern cars have those now.

I will post back here on Wed with pics of them both and get back with both of you then. I wanted to make sure you guys were interested before I picked them up.

Yes, they are both 100% aluminum!

I am interested in a radiator and I would like to know what the part number of the radiator is (if you know).

Also what shape are they in.

Matt

Here is the scoop.

Just got done putting my eyeball and tape measure on both of them. They are 31x19 and require using a pressure/surge tank as they are not designed with a radiator cap on the radiator housing. This IS exactly what I put in my car. Went back and checked my invoice, I actually paid $280 for mine(I thought is was around $160 or so, but had to look it up).

Here is the deal. They were both run in the Rolex 24 at Daytona this year. One got a small hole in it that was patched with epoxy. There other had no holes. Both will require taking a small screwdriver and straightening some of the fins. Other than that they are fine.

We can get them a little cheaper. Looking like $100 each.

So, let me know if you guys still want one and I will buy them when I am back that way on Thursday. I did not want to buy them today until I could give you guys a acurate description and let you know they need a little fin straightening to make them look perfect. As is, either one of them would cool 100 times better than a stock unit. You figure these guys are using them on 700 hsp engine to run 24 hour races.

Wow, I would love to have one of them!

Hey Chris, me and a few of my friends are heading down to gainesville raceway today if you are free tonight and want to see what the 90' can do! We are taking my friends C4 and the turbo tacoma.

I got to drive the 94' C4 this past weekend....I want one. :)

Can't use it

Hi, cant go with these, although I would love to, my 77 dosent have a surge tank and to get one here, i might as well buy a new griffin from summit for 180 or so.

Thanks anyway

Chris,
If your sure it will fit without major mod's in my '73 (Lord knows you would know better than I, put me down for one.

Rod

Chris,
Let me recap what I just said. Yea, I will definately take one. The pictures of yours looks great. I'll make the damn thing fit!

Sounds good then. I will pick them up when I go get my headers and get with you and Bullitt for mailing address, etc.

Great Chris, thanks! Let me know where to send the money. I really appreciate you doing this for us.

Ooops. Let me hear from Matt (MGMS_1968) before I ship anything out. I just realized he showed interest first, but had not replied since I gave a more accurate descrip.

I picked them both up yesterday and will post a pic here.

As soon as I hear back from MGM, I will then cut them loose.

Matt, you have mail.

Thanks,

Chris

Here they are. Like I said, they have some bumps in then that could use combing fins back out. You can get a pressure tank through most any speed shop. The local fellows use one that is actually a derivative off the early Corvette Harrison style that is smaller and has a flat side for mounting on a firewall, inner fender, etc. etc. They go upwards of $80 or less. I might be able to dig up a couple of them in the used variety.

Front view.

Here is the rear view.

The one on the left had a small repair done in the middle where you see that dark spot. I was able to get this one for $75. So, let me know which one you guys want. Since I did not run this up as a Vbay type auction, I will just have to pick first come first serve. Hey, this is better though because the price keeps going down instead of up.

So, the one on the right cost $100 and the one on the left is $75.

BTW, A fellow at the race shop was helping me load them in my truck and asked what I was planning on doing with them. I told him I was picking them up for some guys here at CAC for street cars. He said, "man, you could cover half of these radiators up and provide all the cooling a street car would ever ask for".

That is pretty cool!

Here is a pic of the bracket I made to mount mine. It is simpy a piece of aluminum 6.5" x 4" that I bent into a Z type shape and bolted through the core support on both sides with stainless bolts.

I used the stock style lower mounts and simply inserted some rubber to cushion them.

You could make your bracket out of anything really. My buddy that road races told me this bracket is overkill as he only uses a small piece of aluminum 90 degree bracket across the top with zip screws.

I am still inteterested.

But I did not see any pictures?

I sent you a reply via e0mail.

Matt

mgms_1968 said:
I am still inteterested.

But I did not see any pictures?

I sent you a reply via e0mail.

Matt

Matt,

That is odd on the pics. I don't see them popping into the thread like they were just yesterday.

When I get home tonight I will access my home e-mail to get your message, and send you pics of them.

Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom