Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Greedy Dealers

Norseman

Corvette
2006 Blue Z51 Coupe/2004 STi for the snow.
Got a call from my sales guy at the Schaumburg dealership in Illinois late last week; he was calling all his coustomers who had ordered Z06's and was telling them the bad news. I had a Z06 on order (along with 14 other people) and was told that if I still wanted it, it would cost me 10 grand more than I had agreed to pay! The salesman apologized and said that it was a management decision and that there was nothing he could do. I feel that this really sucks; I had put down a grand in January and signed an order sheet which I didn't read closly. I guess the dealership isn't really locked in to a agreed upon price. I feel betrayed and will never buy from this dealer again. I guess greed is the name of the game.:mad
At least I have my 2006 Lemans Blue Z-51 which I was planing on trading in on the new Z06 when it arrived.:crazy I bet in 2 years they will not be able to charge a premium for the Z06; but you know what; I figure I just saved myself 25 grand. I hope they choke on the damn things. But there are always people out there who don't care about the money; and they are the ones who usually get every thing they want. I could afford to pay the extra 10 grand but it's the principal of the thing; I just will not pay what amounts to extortion.

There is a dealership in Elgin, Il I heard wants $15,000 over. The one in McHenry charged $10,000 over and the guy bought it. I could never understand why someone would pay over MSRP just to have the first. You can never recoup that money. They must have money to burn.

Donna

Nice yellow car Donna!:)

BLUEDUCE said:
There is a dealership in Elgin, Il I heard wants $15,000 over. The one in McHenry charged $10,000 over and the guy bought it. I could never understand why someone would pay over MSRP just to have the first. You can never recoup that money. They must have money to burn.

Donna

Even with money to burn, paying list or over is absolutely nuts!

I'll just repeat what I was told: anyone paying over MSRP for a Chevy is nuts and anyone charging more than MSRP is robbery. :L

The dealers are stupid. They don't realize how many people are turned off by doing this on a high demand car. When those turned off people need to buy a daily driver, they sure aren't going to those dealerships. Save a penny, lose a dollar. People probably buy one or two 'Vette's in their lifetime but they're pretty much guaranteed to buy more than just one or two daily drivers in their lifetime.

I hope that everyone that read's this post will boycot these dealer's. A free market place I agree with, but extortion is something else. I hope the dealer SCUMBAG CHOKES on these cars. TLS

Unfortunately there is someone out there that has the "gotta have" attitude and will probably buy one of these. Right now there is probably between $4,000 and $5,000 profit built into the MSRP. Remember the PT Cruiser? People were paying over MSRP just to have one and now look at the price and inventory. Of course Z06's are not overproduced and most are spoken for before they are ordered. I have been in the car business for 34 years and must say I am not proud when someone in the business sells for over MSRP.

I do remember when the Chrysler Crossfire came out and a local Chrysler dealer had one roped off in his dealership and wouldn't let anyone near it. He was asking $5,000 over and I said no one would buy for that and guess what someone did. Now he or she has a Used Crossfire that is worth considerably less than what they paid for it and they aren't a big hit as Chrysler thought it would be.

Donna

BLUEDUCE said:
Unfortunately there is someone out there that has the "gotta have" attitude and will probably buy one of these. Right now there is probably between $4,000 and $5,000 profit built into the MSRP. Remember the PT Cruiser? People were paying over MSRP just to have one and now look at the price and inventory. Of course Z06's are not overproduced and most are spoken for before they are ordered. I have been in the car business for 34 years and must say I am not proud when someone in the business sells for over MSRP.

I do remember when the Chrysler Crossfire came out and a local Chrysler dealer had one roped off in his dealership and wouldn't let anyone near it. He was asking $5,000 over and I said no one would buy for that and guess what someone did. Now he or she has a Used Crossfire that is worth considerably less than what they paid for it and they aren't a big hit as Chrysler thought it would be.

Donna

Remember the ZR1? Some dealers were charging $10,000 over list. Why? They could! Some people just had to have that car. The value eventually sank and they took a bath!!! This is similar to the fuel crisis. Bring down the demand and so goes the price!

Edmond is right, I would have gone to the same dealership for a daily driver;(I plan on purchasing another one in 1 or 2 years); but now they can kiss my ass. I'll take my purchase of probably 30-32 grand elseware.:mad

Norseman
That is the correct attitude to have.Take all your bussiness somewhere else and tell all your friend's and relatives what happened. If every one you tell about this tell's someone else it will make a difference.If Scumbag looses 2 or 3 sales that will give you a little satisfaction anyway. Good luck! TLS

These things have a way of coming back on them. I was real near a similar deal on a '78 Pace Car. The dealer lost the lawsuit and a fair amount of biz.

I am comfortable that MY word is my bond, w/ or w/o papers.

I was shopping for a garden variety C6 coupe, and went by a dealer in Miami who has a good inventory. They wanted 5K over MSRP!

I ordered one just the way I want it from a dealer in Michigan, got gmid pricing, and it will cost me all of $150.00 for a courtesy delivery at a dealer in Homestead.

Don't know how these dirtbags stay in business. By the way, the place was also a dump.

Hi guys, Casey at Bob McDorman Chevrolet. I think we are the only dealer in the US that is not overcharging. We sell all of our Z06's at MSRP. We have a pretty long list of orders and people waiting in line, but if you want one at a fair price let me know and I will get you on the list.

Thanks,
Casey Root

[ I think we are the only dealer in the US that is not overcharging. We sell all of our Z06's at MSRP.]

Finally, a dealer with some ethics. Good job Casey and all at Bob McDorman Chevrolet!!! I'll look you up when I'm ready for a C6.

I was in the market for a [garden variety] 06. The dealer in Daytona had one I wanted, but by the time I got up there it was sold.But anyway they offered it to me at $3500.00 off msrp.I thought that was a fair price and if was still there I would have had it.I will say they had a 10 grand bump on the ZO6, but I think that was negotiable.I geuss this just show's that all dealer's are not like Chicago's SCUMBAG. Take your bussiness elsewhere. TLS

Here's another dealer with a good reputation.
http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbeck.nsf/2006z06
They're selling new Z06's at sticker. Any of you that go to Carlisle - Kerbeck is there every year (they bring more new vettes than GM).. You can sit down and have an intelligent conversation without all the Corvette hype. Their sales people sell more Corvettes than anyone else in the country.

Remo:cool

Anyone try to purchase a Z06 from Kerbeck? Last conversation I had Z06's were $6,000 over MSRP. I agree they discount coupes & convertibles. Z06's were avaialable, but not at sticker.This was about a month ago.

Try trading in a vette with Kerbeck ?????

No matter what year you want to trade in they will give you a song and a dance about all of the negatives. But when you look at a used vette they will glamourize it like it's anew C- Z-06.

Morale of the story, while they are excellent in the new vette dept you have to countyour fingers all the time in their used car area.

This is my opinion!

Bob McDorman Chevrolet said:
Hi guys, Casey at Bob McDorman Chevrolet. I think we are the only dealer in the US that is not overcharging. We sell all of our Z06's at MSRP. We have a pretty long list of orders and people waiting in line, but if you want one at a fair price let me know and I will get you on the list.

Thanks,
Casey Root

THATS GREAT WE ONLY HAVE 4 ON OUR LIST AND WE ALSO ONLY CHARGE MSRP FOR A NEW Z06. SO WE CAN GET YOU ONE ALSO. BUT OUR LIST IS A LOT SHORTER. ACTUALLY ONLY 4 ON IT RIGHT NOW. SO CALL ME AND I YOU WILL BE NUMBER 5 ON THE LIST.

JAGSFAN said:
THATS GREAT WE ONLY HAVE 4 ON OUR LIST AND WE ALSO ONLY CHARGE MSRP FOR A NEW Z06. SO WE CAN GET YOU ONE ALSO. BUT OUR LIST IS A LOT SHORTER. ACTUALLY ONLY 4 ON IT RIGHT NOW. SO CALL ME AND I YOU WILL BE NUMBER 5 ON THE LIST.
And here we have it "The Battle of the Supporting Vender's"!!! ;LOL It will keep the Prices Down LOW!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom