Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

greetings....

MSD

First time post. Awsome forum. Let me start out by saying I do not have a vette.. YET! It kinda started out as looking for another project vehicle. As I have been into trucks for the past 20 -25 years, I wanted something a little different this time so I figured I'd try a car. Well, I started looking on the web + buying some different magizines. From muscle cars to VW's and everything in between. Somewhere along the line I bought a vette mag and It's all over!! The fat ladies singing!!!! I can't seem to think about anything else. The wife is going crazy bless her. Anyways, I've narrowed it down to the 82 or 84. My main question actually concerns the handling of each. Since both owners are on this forum, how are they different. Which one handles better? I'm looking for handling more than power. I've read the 84 was a benchmark for it's day but how does the 82 compare? Sorry it's not an engine related question but after having a blast going through the posts, I've answered most of them. Thanks in advance.. Mike

Welcome to the :CAC !!

Though I can't answer your question there's no doubt you've discovered the best online Corvette community in which to ask it.

Someone will be along soon with more info.
:wJane Ann

Never rode in a 82, but love my 84. Handles great but somewhat stiff. When I first got it it was like riding in an old farm wagon through a rutted pasture. I put a softer rear spring in mine many years ago and some good shocks and it was alot better. Alot would depend on which body style you like the most-C3(82) or C4(84). The C3 has always been my favorite body style but I already had a 71 that was the C3 body style, so I went with the 84.(actually went to look at pace car when I bought the 84.) I personally like the cleaner more advanced look of the 84 under the hood, as well as the dash.(exept the loaf of bread on passenger side,LOL) I'd find one of each and take them for a ride and look at them real close. Dont really know of much difference in power, but alot of things can be done to a small block chevy engine, even if its a crossfire. Just depends on how deep your pockets. Hp cost money. I had planned to spend some bucks on mine to make it fast, although its not fast compared to most, it is quick and fun to drive, so I never did alot.

I have had a 79 L-48, almost the identical to a 82 and I presently have a silver 84 L-83 crossfire, and there's no doubt in my mind that the 84 out handles the 79 or 82 shark handling. The 84 as you said set new standards for handling and braking when it was released for sale. However the L-83 engine( While a good engine) leaves a lot as far as performance. The main trouble is the intake manifold. Less air in less power out. Crossfires are very reliable engines and there's a replacement manifold called an X ram www.x-ram.com also a site devoted to the crossfire is at www.crossfirevault.com and you can get a lot of info about the L-83 and what can be done with it. The C-4 platform is great handling and comfortable to ride in. Plus the 84 is a targa top where as the 82 is a T-top model. if it were me, I'd look for a 85 or 86 with the L-98 engine which has tuned port injection. easier to modify and just as reliable. IMHO

Thanks for the replys people. I'm the same way Jim, love the shark body. When somebody mentions corvette thats what I automatically think of. With my budget for this project ( who am I kidding.. budget.. ha..ha..) I will probably be better off with the c4. I 've seen some cool suspension set-ups for the c3's but that extra could be spent elsewhere. My plan is to finish my current project and sell it off for the cash to finance the vette. I was just wondering what input all the c3 people had. I just start dreaming and get lost again. The mpg of the crossfire would be welcome + I love the look of the 2 tbi's. Already took in both websites Killain but thanks alot anyway. The vault appairently just got going again so its pretty bare.

Thanks for the replys people. I'm the same way Jim, love the shark body. When somebody mentions corvette thats what I automatically think of. With my budget for this project ( who am I kidding.. budget.. ha..ha..) I will probably be better off with the c4. I 've seen some cool suspension set-ups for the c3's but that extra could be spent elsewhere. My plan is to finish my current project and sell it off for the cash to finance the vette. I was just wondering what input all the c3 people had. I just start dreaming and get lost again. The mpg of the crossfire would be welcome + I love the look of the 2 tbi's. Already took in both websites Killain but thanks alot anyway. The vault appairently just got going again so its pretty bare.

You can't really go wrong with either pick. I put a TRW fiberglass rear spring on my 79 and it did wonders to improve the ride. And i have to say the C-3 rode better than my C-4, but not by much.

I havent driven an 84, so i cant speak to that, but the 82 rides very comfortable for a 26 year old car, but dont put small tires on them, they need the big wheels they have, properly inflated. Sometimes the rear get's going before the front notices (especially in rain), at least on mine. I got used to the butt coming around, and i can handle it, actually by now i think it's fun. :chuckle
I think on long drives, it's fine. It's not a modern car, thats for sure, but i guess that goes for both years. Here, i am certainly the slowest car on the Autobahn, but i dont like the feel of it after 120+ (Still have the OEM brake setup and steering!).
Havent had too much trouble with the cross fire, it has a bad rap, but i cant agree on that. Most mechanics will not be able to help you, so watch out. It's a hybrid (at least thats what i call it, Toyota still owes me money for the term ;LOL): "Computer" controlled carbs, but i has been working well for me for the last 15 years.

Oh, you cant be a shy person, as a LOT of people will look at your car and comment. :D

If you find a 82 or 84 and you sit in it, you'll know which is the right one. :upthumbs

:w
-Stefan

Thanks stefan. I dont know whats drawing me to the crossfire but I'm going to give it a shot. Looking at a high mileage 84 this week so we shall see.

I have both an 82 and an 84. The 84 handles much better. Like a race car in fact but you'll definitely feel every bump in the road. The 84 suspension was stiffer than any of the other C4's.

The 82 certainly doesn't handle bad and as you said it can be improved. However, I don't think you'll overcome the fact that the C4's have near perfect weight balance front to rear. I still love my 82 more though.

After all these years, I still get about 26mpg out of both of my crossfires and they are easy to work on. The L-83 was all about making lots of torque in your normal driving RPM range and that's exactly what it does if everything is working correctly.

Just what I was looking for John. Thats why I posted here because of the overlap in models. Now I just have to make my mind up. Thanks for the reply's everybody.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom