Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

grennading the rear end????

AKRAY4PLAY

Corvette
'77 L-82, black on black. Full mod 406 small block
fellas,
i need to pick everyones brain on this one. i finally, after two years of hell, got my 406 completed and dyno tested. it makes 575 hp peak and 525 ft/lbs peak. i plan on running a 2400 stall converter with 3.70 gears for a fun little street car. at 2400 rpm the motor makes 418 ft/lbs. the more people i talk with, the more i get confused with what the rear end's life expectancy will be. i don't have information from vette guys that are running the same power my small block generates. i called tom's differentials and priced what they suggest. modified carrier with 12 bolt parts, $2350, and 1480 series half shaft kit, $2150. five grand is a lot of money to throw away if i truely don't need the stuff, i'll buy it if i need it. i suspect i will have to beef things up a bit, but five grand worth?? i know you guys out there with mild big blocks are running similar numbers. what are you doing to keep things together under the rear?? i have the vette brakes performance plus suspension kit installed and the tranny is already built. i get off work wednesday, and have a few last minute things to wrench on before i hit the key thursday afternoon. i would really hate to destroy the car on the first day out. thanks for all your input in advance, with everyone's knowledge this will have a happy ending!!
thanks again, brian

Assuming your rear is in good shape, I dont think you'll kill it if you avoid hard launches, especially with slicks. And even then, it looks to me like the u-joints somewhere will snap first, and probibly make one hell of a mess when they do.

I'd drive it, but avoid hard launches till you can find enough opinions to satisfy yourself one way or another. I bet in the end you have to beef somethng up if your planning much strip time. Hard launches on a not so light car really beat the rear end parts....

Specs on the small block? Sounds really hot.. :)

Well I wish I had an answer for you.

I posted something not to long ago asking how much the halfshafts could hack in terms of torque. I got no response. But someone did point out a small upgrade to U-joints so they could hack a little more torque.

I was going to sell my vette because I was going to, as money would permit of course, drop a 383 with a small blower. I am shooting for anywhere from 500 to 600 ftlbs but after thinking it through it was going to cost me to much to get the suspension to handle it. I was going to buy my dream car but after I took my vette out for one more cruise I changed my mind. She is to much fun to drive.

I am not trying to discourage you.

One thing you can do is call around to see how much it would cost to get some half shafts and regular shaft made to handle 600ftlbs or more around town. Then look into the u-joints. Those prices sound a bit steep to me. I would think you could get it done for maybe $2500. Thats shafts, joints, gear and carrier.

I am sure you will get someone to help you out soon.

Frank

Denny's is good, they can hook an elephant and a frog together, if you can get them the specs.. :D

thanks for the inputs guys! looks like i will be treading lightly on the right foot for a bit. i will give Denny's a call and find out what they say and maybe bounce Tom's info off them to get a real scoop. i am still waiting for the dyno shop to get me a disc with all the numbers. as soon as i get it, i'll post it with a complete build sheet in case anyone is interested. thanks again guys, i will keep you posted on what my farther research provides. later, brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom