Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Ground cables

Raul_C4

Corvette
Cherry Red 1986 coupe
Got my motor put back in the vette now i just keep hitting my self because i did not take note of where the ground cables go !!!!
the starter wires i am not too worried about . I just cant find any info on the placement of the 1/4" thick ground cables
i've been told countless times as long as they are on the frame and block it'll be okay. I just wont be able to sleep at night until i know they are supposed to be where they are intended. there is a really long about 2 foot ground wire and a shorter ground wire
and detailed advice on where they go would be GREATLY appreciated Please help !
THANK YOU

1986 vin 8 corvette

Just looking for this yesterday myself. I didn't find it in the FSM but I 'think' the large cable attaches to the bellhousing on the drivers side, but unsure where the smaller wire goes. In other vehicles I've seen that smaller wire attached to either the frame or firewall but unsure where it goes on a Vette. Might try Youtube or Google and see what comes up.

Granted my '90 could be a bit different, but I did my engine last spring and there is a bunch of grounds that connect to the bottom bell housing bolt on the drivers side. Don't forget the ground strap to/from the frame too. If "need-be" get a FSM. The grounds are supposed to be connected at certain locations. Believe it or not, IT DOES MATTER on engine fuel and management systems.

Clean them up with a little sand paper and install new star(shake-proof) washers. The grounds are very very important. Bad or intermediate grounds will cause a "shytload" of issues.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom