Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Guess who's C4 is back on the Road?

Toy4Hal

Corvette
62 Maroon, 03 Anniversary Convertible
For those who have been around this forum for a while, you will remember Ken Stapel. Ken had what I personally describe as the most expensive C4 on the street. This was/is a real "hot rod". Ken died a couple of years back. Since that time his brother Bill has been trying to get Ken's car to a state where it is "drivable' and "reliable".

See the attached pictures. Today, after a year in an auto electric shop, Ken's 1987 Z51 Corvette is back on the street. Sounds the same: has the same power: you know when it's in your neighborhood: But one change: It did not stall or fail once on it's drive home! It ran great!

Great to see this car back. I suspect Bill will have it out at Ruby's in Redondo Beach for the Friday night cruise tomorrow. That will be a real treat to the many "car guy" friends that Ken had in that crowd.

Ken, I know your smiling!!!!

(Administrators, feel free to move this to another forum if appropriate. Ken had a lot of friends at CAC and they may not all frequent the C4 forum. Thanks.)

Darn, I still miss Ken. He helped me out a lot when I first got my car and joined CAC. Glad to see his car is back on the road.:thumb

Ron
"Baldie88"

I'd heard it was on the road,a "Spanish Cajun Dude" called a week or so ago and said he was cruising beside it on the freeway as we spoke,He just knew it had to be Kens!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

:D

This is great news. I was wondering recently if there was any progress on getting the car on the road. Ken would be very happy.

I would urge anyone who ever gets the chance to ride in this car to do it. What an experience. It was in a very unfinished state at the time he had it back to BG but it was fast. I was fortunate enough to spend a good amount of time with Ken and the car that weekend even though we always had to park on a hill due to the stripped starter bolt problem.

On my last ride we left the museum heading back into town. A Z06 nailed it coming up the ramp to pass us. A C4 is easy pickings, right? Ken nailed it and it was almost embarrassing how fast that Z06 disappeared in the mirror. There was no speedo in the car at the time but the tach said 4200 in 6th gear of the Richmond 6 speed when Ken backed off of it. I never remembered to ask Ken what rear gear is in the car so I could calculate how fast we were going. The car never quit pulling. I was pinned in the seat until he let off. For the rest of the evening every time Ken and I would look at each other we would start laughing. What a ride.

That is how I remember Ken.

Tom

This is great news. I was wondering recently if there was any progress on getting the car on the road. Ken would be very happy.

I would urge anyone who ever gets the chance to ride in this car to do it. What an experience. It was in a very unfinished state at the time he had it back to BG but it was fast. I was fortunate enough to spend a good amount of time with Ken and the car that weekend even though we always had to park on a hill due to the stripped starter bolt problem.

On my last ride we left the museum heading back into town. A Z06 nailed it coming up the ramp to pass us. A C4 is easy pickings, right? Ken nailed it and it was almost embarrassing how fast that Z06 disappeared in the mirror. There was no speedo in the car at the time but the tach said 4200 in 6th gear of the Richmond 6 speed when Ken backed off of it. I never remembered to ask Ken what rear gear is in the car so I could calculate how fast we were going. The car never quit pulling. I was pinned in the seat until he let off. For the rest of the evening every time Ken and I would look at each other we would start laughing. What a ride.

That is how I remember Ken.

Tom
Tom, all in all, NOT A BAD MEMORY AT ALL !
I can only hope that there are some memories of me like this when I'm gone. :thumb
Andy :w

This is funny, I searched Ken's name in here wondering about his Corvette and found this thread.

I had the opportunity to meet Ken, he was a great guy, a people's person.

This Is Great.........

Although our material things are only a small portion of our existance and a reflection of who we are, this Corvette WAS Ken. He towards the end, lived, breathed and for lack of a better term WAS that Corvette. I could reflect on how The CAC WAS his #1 mission in life for years, but I'll just say the time I spent with him when he was here in NJ with me and the time we spent in emails and on the phone, nothing will ever replace. Hal, give Bill my huge support and my best for keeping the legend alive. Stories of Ken's visit with me by request ONLY!!!:rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom