Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ham radio install

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
Has anybody installed a ham radio in their C4?:thumb

So far nothing but the license plate. Thought about a 2 Mtr & 440 Quads inside the rear bumper cover. The radio itself is another question. What bands are you thinking about?

73 De WB6UVO

Hi, just got into this hobby as a radio fanatic and getting into what is it to mount an antenna to vette. I believe VHF bands can be handled with a magnetic mount to the one and only metallic part of the roof but I will get back when some data is achieved...

No joy, the metallic hinge of the back hatch is aluminium, so magnet mount won't do the trick :ugh Must figure out plan B, drilling holes into this beauty is out of question...

I have run 2 meters 144-148MHz equipment from time to time.
Most popular options on a Vette of C4 vintage (assuming it's a coupe) are:

Through glass magnetically coupled antenna. External antenna is removable and so is the glue if you change your mind. Just don't put near rear window defrost embedded strips.

Second option, is to fab up a bracket in aluminum or stainless that you could mount up under the bumper to a bracket and extend out from the rear fascia. Again removal with no apparent signs of damage.
I haven't looked behind the license plate but there may be an option there as well.

Good Luck,

Mike, N4ACB, Advanced Class

Joined a Corvette club.. got a ham radio license,,, going to get together with the club saturday to install antennna and setup

KF7OAS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom