Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Happy Endings re: I Blew It

72 Bluz

Was ready to start tearing into wiring this morning to find the blown fusible link and decided to re-test everything. I realized that there was power to the alt and horn relay when the key was off, but when I turned it on, there was no power. I couldn't understand why the circuit was good with the ignition off, but not on. Put Xena up on the jack stands, made sure all my starter connections were good, retested everything with my circuit tester and got the same results. Pondered all this for a few minutes (got a migraine in the process) and decided to follow a wild hair. Climbed back under her, tapped on the starter and solenoid with a hammer and BADDA-BING :crazy Xena lives!

Anyway, I guess she's suffering from heat soak or I inadvertantly fixed a bad connection at the starter. Man, this has made me loco, but it sure has been a learning experience.

Special thanks to Vigman & 69MyWay for their personal interest in helping me. Sorry to lead you guys on a wild goose chase. Gee, I hate electrical problems. I will have to fill Mr. Miller in on the situation this afternoon. :beer

Anyone know how to fix my clock? :D

Bill

Ohhhh this isn't good

There should be no internal connection of the starter OR solonoid for the power problem you were having ( are about to have again) You might want to reconsider ( disconnecting the battery first) removing the two incoming wires off the starter, cleaning em & re torqueing them.

Mike

Great news!

You may have an internal short between the starter and solenoid. Might not be a bad idea to try what Mike suggested, and or pull the starter and have it tested.

I bet that was a relief to hear her spin over once again!

Clearing the fog!

Maybe I haven't communicated this properly.

The mechanical junction between the BIG stud
on the back of the starter is the clamp point between the battery and the outgoing wire to feed power to the horn relay..this has NOTHING to do with the key switch!

I'm still VERY suspect of the fusible link in the wiring harness OR there is a HUGH amount of corrosion between the 2 lugs on the wires going to the starter.

The fusible link is encased so there is NO WAY to see if it's heat stressed REPLACE IT!

Mike
( gotta book to work... but you can PM there)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom