Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hard starting and fuel smell

jracer49420

Corvette
1974 stingray
I have a 74 with a Q4 carb. It's very hard starting after it sets for about 8 hours, and after driving and parking in the garage I can smell gas but there are no leaks. I was thinking of replacing the carb, but don't know what kind or model to get. My vette has a 350 cu engine that was just rebuilt. Any ideas? Thanks

I have a 74 with a Q4 carb. It's very hard starting after it sets for about 8 hours, and after driving and parking in the garage I can smell gas but there are no leaks. I was thinking of replacing the carb, but don't know what kind or model to get. My vette has a 350 cu engine that was just rebuilt. Any ideas? Thanks
Q jet Carbs with some age sometimes develop leaks in the 3 little lead plugs in the bottom of the float bowel!!! They will drip the entire contents of the Float bowel in the Engine and Flood them,or it just takes the pump a while to fill it back up before it starts!! Some times you can peen them and they will stop, and some times you can clean them up and JB weld (Reg, not JB Quick!!)them and they will stop!!!! But usually I end up drilling and replacing them!!:upthumbs

It's very possible that your carb is leaking internally and draining into the engine. Extended cranking is required to refill it and allow the engine to start.

Pull the carb off the engine after the engine has been stopped for a few hours and see if the intake is wet.

I had some similar problems. Had the Q-jet completely rebuilt and it runs great now!

If your in need of a rebuilder PM me and I can give your a guy in Youngstown Ohio that has rebuilt both of my tripowers..

Jim

These are what they looked like before..
1968corvette-deliveryday101.jpg

And after..
1968corvette-deliveryday118.jpg

havent started the 68 yet but he did a decent job on the 67..

I had mine rebuilt at A&G Carb in Oak Park Il. All they do is carbs. You can send it to him if you want. Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom