Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Hard steering - which part gets the money?

dburgjohn

Corvette
1992 Coupe
my 81 power steering does not work if you try to turn the steering wheel too fast. Slow turns have full power, quick ones need lots of arm power. Direction of turn does not matter, engine speed or car speed does not matter. I don't want to play R&R with parts so....

is the bad part a pump, control valve, ram cyl or hose?

Possibly nothing wrong. C3 power steering is actually only power assist, not the full power the bigger GM cars got.

NOTE: I did not imbed the link. That appears to come from the forum.

:thumb

nope

it used to be better. if you turn steering wheel too fast, there is no power assist at all.

Possibly nothing wrong. C3 power steering is actually only power assist, not the full power the bigger GM cars got.

NOTE: I did not imbed the link. That appears to come from the forum.

:thumb

Yes, those automated links are annoying, but can be blocked. Try installing adblock plus.

I'd verify the fluid level first, then rebuild the control valve as the next step. Don't think the ram or hoses are a contributor at this point.

Fluid level is full, no leaks. Nothing visible wrong. Can control valve fail in such a way as to work but not pass enough pressure for a quick turn?

Yes, those automated links are annoying, but can be blocked. Try installing adblock plus.

I'd verify the fluid level first, then rebuild the control valve as the next step. Don't think the ram or hoses are a contributor at this point.

Dump the fluid, bleed the system and give it a shot of new blood. Keep the old fluid in a clear water bottle and watch how much dirt will settle out.

Would you work as good as it has been if you had that much crap in your system? :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom