Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hard to get 88' 4+3 into reverse

flatninth

Corvette
1988 coupe
Hi everyone,

I get this point of resistance as I try to engage reverse. If I push through it I get a not so nice clunk/crunch sound.

If I play with the clutch, or shake the shifter in nuetral, and or go to first and second once or twice I eventually get into reverse smoothly. Of course sometimes the car goes into reverse with out a hitch on the first try. I am at a complete stop and also lifting the ring while attempting to get into the gear.

Has anyone had a similar problem/solution?

Thanks,
Steve

88' coupe, 40k miles.

Never experienced the symptoms you describe, but it sounds like either an adjustment is needed to the shifter mechanism or perhaps the clutch assembly is worn sufficiently to start giving you problems in shifting gears. You wouldn't experience the "clunk/crunch" sound in the forward gears because of the syncronizers, but the reverse gears would clash if the clutch didn't allow total release.

To adjust the shifter mechanism, you have to take the left side of the console apart. It's a lot of work, but the Helm service manual will definitely help you through the project. ;)

Mine does the same thing. Had the shifter adjusted, had the clutch replaced (not for this reason), still does it. Was told by a reliable mechanic that straight-cut gears (like in the 4+3 reverse) can be more difficult to engage smoothly anyway, and without taking the whole transmission apart it would be otherwise impossible to determine why. So I just make a habit of going into 2nd before hitting reverse, or not doing reverse until the engine is off.
[RICHR]

thank you for the replies.

A mechanic at the chevy Dealer said he'd have to take the tranny apart to see what was going on too. I guess I'll just hang tight and live with it for now. I just hope I don't get in a situation where it finally stops going into reverse at all. I will try to shut the car off when parking first and then putting it into reverse, if that works for me too it will at least cut down on some of the hassle.

What's almost more strange is that while pulling out of the drive way in first excelerating slowly the car shifted into another gear (send over drive maybe?). There is no overdrive on first!? I got the car to do it again today. I don't get that either.

flatninth said:
What's almost more strange is that while pulling out of the drive way in first excelerating slowly the car shifted into another gear (send over drive maybe?). There is no overdrive on first!? I got the car to do it again today. I don't get that either.
If the previous owner "jumped" out the switch mounted on the side of the overdrive unit, it will go into OD in first if the shifter mounted button is hit.

Len:)

You may want to try bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, there could be air in the system that is preventing the clutch from dis-engaging 100%. If it's grinding, you can be pretty sure that the input shaft is still spinning. My car had the same symptoms and changing fluid and bleeding the system seems to have worked so far.

Steve

Eighty-six, if his problem is like mine, then it'll sometimes crunch even with the engine off (or just requires playing between forward gears). Definitely wouldn't be the input shaft then :).
[RICHR]

nyerngaII said:
If the previous owner "jumped" out the switch mounted on the side of the overdrive unit, it will go into OD in first if the shifter mounted button is hit.

Len:)
Hey Len,

The car was my father's pride and joy. He only sold it to me to make room for a brand new one (lucky me :)...and him). He's only had the dealership service it and has kept it all original. How do you "jump out" the switch on the overdrive unit-do you have to open up the tranny case? It's not something he could have done with out knowing could he?

Do you think changing the transmission fluid might help any of these issues?

Thanks guys.

flatninth said:
Hopefully, your father took care to regularly change the fluid in the overdrive - that's about the only maintenance that can be done to the unit. It's like an automatic transmission in that sense; heat is its worst enemy and you have to change the ATF in the overdrive unit at least every 30,000 miles or so.

Sometimes the seal between the gearbox, which calls for regular gear lube, and the overdrive unit, which calls for ATF, fails. In that case, people have been known to switch to a Dexron-Mercon type transmission fluid so there would be no worry of contamination of the overdrive fluid. It only makes the manual gearbox a tad noisier. ;)

I had the same problem. Try removing the shift knob and pull out the lever that you pull up to put the car into reverse. It has a metal rod attached that keeps the car from going into reverse until you pull up on the lever. Inspect the end of that rod. the last 1/4 inch will wear out and cause hard shifts. Mine was so badly worn that it made first and second gear shift hard. I bought a new steel rod from a hardware store and machined it down to match.

Thanks Ken/Ray,

I think I'll have the ATF fluid changed. It sounds like it can't hurt. Hopefully the seals are still good. Is it standard fluid that a local shop could change with out harming anything, or should I give cheverolet the extra revenue?

I'll also check that rod out under the shifter knob. That'd be pretty sweet if that's all it is.

I appreciate the tips,
Steve

...been reading old transmission posts. Looks like a filter change and Synthetic gear lube maybe the way to go. Wonder if the dealer will put Red Line in there for me.......

flatninth said:
Hey Len,

The car was my father's pride and joy. He only sold it to me to make room for a brand new one (lucky me :)...and him). He's only had the dealership service it and has kept it all original. How do you "jump out" the switch on the overdrive unit-do you have to open up the tranny case? It's not something he could have done with out knowing could he?

Thanks guys.
It's a two wire plug mounted on the side of the overdrive unit. But if your dad maintained the car like you said, I'd leave it alone...:)

Len

flatninth said:
Hi everyone,

I get this point of resistance as I try to engage reverse.
If I play with the clutch, ........ or go to first and second once or twice I eventually get into reverse smoothly.

88' coupe, 40k miles.
Steve,
The 1988 Owners Manual actually advises to do exactly what you and some other CAC members have done, and that is to put it in first or second, and without releasing the clutch pedal, put it right into reverse. It usually goes in without much noise and without jolting the whole car.
Obviously, GM already knew of the difficulty in throwing this shift.
And I've also made it a habit to cut the engine before putting it into reverse to remove the key.
Good luck.
Joe

Hey Joe and the rest of the gang,

Thanks for replying. I have a follow up story to my reverse issues. I had my local chevy dealer drain both the ATF fluid and the regular gear fluid. I insisted that they did not "flush" the system.

I had this done couple of weeks ago and I can't believe it, but my reverse problems have disappeared. I don't know if something got knocked lose in the draining or what, but I went from having a problem 4 out of 5 times going into reverse to NEVER having a problem. I'm still a little in shock that a fluid change really saved the day.

I do try and remember to tap 1st or 2nd on the way to reverse now though. If I don't do that I have noticed the occasional ka-chunk that sounds like I jammed it in while "stuff" is still spinning.

Thanks for all the help guys! Cheers :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom