Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hardtop differences?

Chevyman for life

One of the problems of restoring my friends '59 Vette is that while I have had six Vette's of my own in the past I don't know as much as I thought I did about these years. Anyway I'm finally almost finished with the car and ready to start on the hardtop.

The car is a mid year '59. The hardtop he bought for it 35 years ago has date codes on the three windows of what I would assume are Jan and Mar 1958. Looking at part catalogs I notice there are a number of repair parts which are for years '56 - '58 and for '59 - '60.

The owner doesn't care if it's the wrong year as long as it looks and fits right. Is my assumption correct that repairing it with '58 parts it will still fit the '59 body the same and essentially look similar to the '59? Were the differences just improvements? Any special problems to look for?

Thanks,
Gerry

First off, we need to get your friend's car added to the 1959 Corvette Registry if it's not already out there :D

That being said, I was under the impression that '58-60 tops are all the same (heck I think it's '56-60 tops at that), with the exception of the dates in the glass and the interior vinyl design. In '61 they started having a hump in the back chrome at the bottom to accomodate the body crease in the '61-62 Vettes.

Hope this helps.

Jim
59registry.com

All 56-60 tops will interchange. There are trim differences such as: early 56 has a thinner aluminum header trim; 56-58 have a "Y" type trim at the junction of each bottom side window and the rear window; 59-60 has a different arrangement; the header liner is also different for 56-7; 58; 59-60. Functionally, they will interchange. I had a 60 HT on my 56.

Jim and Bill,
Thanks for the replies. I should have some updated pictures someday soon from my previous build ones. Looking pretty good right now but still doing some assembly.

Gerry

I had to post that a guy at Spring Carlisle had a 58-60 top for sale, missing the back glass, and covered COMPLETELY with vinyl.. What was he asking for it? $2300..... I guess the economy's just not quite that bad yet..

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom