Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hardwiring the V1 radar detecter

enzof12

Took my 2014 Vette to my "Master tech" at Ferrari who hardwires all my cars with no difficulty;until yesterday.He couldn't find a power source and while trying did something to the clutch control switch thus disabling the starter.After calls to on star (who were very responsive) he disconnected the battery for 5 minutes then connected it and all was well.Guess it was like rebooting a computer.
The local Chevy dealerships here in Portland,Or have not seen the C7 nor any schematic so they claimed ignorance.
So---has anyone tried to hard wire a detecter?

I think a lot of guys hard wire them or at least can plug them into the rearview mirror set up. Those that have done that should be able to help out.......so how do you like your C7 so far....???

My tech could not find a power source and we were told the wiring on the C7 is completely new and dealerships here in Oregon haven't seen one yet and have no schematics.So I need to hear from a 2014 owner who has successfully hardwired the V1.

The styling is of course subjective. I Like it it has a bit of the 458 in it.
Steering-precise
Suspension-wonderful-takes the bumps with aplomb'
Seats-comfortable with good lateral support.
exhaust sound befitting a 6.2 L V8-sonorous and angry
7spd excellent a little notchy from 1st to 2nd. Seventh geara nd to some extent 6th as well are overdrive and useless unless one is watching the fuel gauge
brakes are superb
gear matching is subtle unless one is heavy on the accelerator.
Overall I am impressed and without a doubt is THE bargain in the auto world
Having come out of a 458 Italia and 458 spider and now a F12 (had to find a way to get that in!) it is a terrific handling car.I love it!

corvette IN MD.jpgcorvette rear.jpg

Interior pictures were too dark since it is a totally black interior.

Last edited:
Took my 2014 Vette to my "Master tech" at Ferrari who hardwires all my cars with no difficulty;until yesterday.He couldn't find a power source and while trying did something to the clutch control switch thus disabling the starter.After calls to on star (who were very responsive) he disconnected the battery for 5 minutes then connected it and all was well.Guess it was like rebooting a computer.
The local Chevy dealerships here in Portland,Or have not seen the C7 nor any schematic so they claimed ignorance.

Hard to use the mirror power since no access and GM says the wires (that are all inside) are not "tap friendly!" I tried to tap into the passenger sun visor mirro light. It is also not "tap freindly" as it instantly tripped the breaker twice! All wiring was correct and the 2 amp fuse was fine! Theya re using LED lights that draw little current! Finally did it right and wired to the fuse that powers the console auxillary plug. It is on the rear fuse panel, #37, that is under the rear mat! Hid all wires by tucking under trim. Works great. Toughest josb is getting the mat up enough to access the fuse panel-pull the corner up coving the battery-hard! Also pull out the plastic covering the right rear wheel. It snaps in.

Just use this on any fuse panel inside. Tuck wire under trim. Use a circuit that is off when key is off. Simple is good.

Run the grd to any other existing ground.

You don't need a schematic or "master tech".

It has it's own circuit and own fuse. Simple. No crosstalk. Worked on every Vette I ever had and friends also.

There is no need to make it more complicated because it's a new C7.

The V1 just want's 12v and a grd & it's happy. You can go right to the battery if you want to run that much wire.

Amazon.com: Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit: Automotive

Probably need the ATM (minifuse) size.
:)

Last edited:
Just use this on any fuse panel inside. Tuck wire under trim. Use a circuit that is off when key is off. Simple is good.

Run the grd to any other existing ground.

You don't need a schematic or "master tech".

It has it's own circuit and own fuse. Simple. No crosstalk. Worked on every Vette I ever had and friends also.

There is no need to make it more complicated because it's a new C7.

The V1 just want's 12v and a grd & it's happy. You can go right to the battery if you want to run that much wire.

Amazon.com: Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit: Automotive

Probably need the ATM (minifuse) size.
:)

Have found the C7 is different! First, there is no fuse panel inside the C7, there is one in the engine compartment and one in the rear, under the mat, near the battery. Getting the mat up is not as easy as it sounds! The right corner comes up with minor difficulty and you can see the battery. However, you’ll need to pop the right rear plastic wheel cover off to get enough of the mat up to gain access to the rear fuse panel to the left of the battery. Both battery and fuse panel are under separate, hard foam inserts. The console auxiliary plug 20-amp fuse (#37 - see owners manual) is switched. That is what I used to power the radar detector. A good ground was found under the passenger side foot well, near the console.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>
The mirror is not a good source of 12 volt power like my C6. If you could get to a mirror 12-volt wire by removing the cover, which requires quite a bit of disassembly, a dealer quoted GM as saying the wires are not “tap friendly!” I found something similar by taping the power going to the passenger mirror light (something that worked fine in my ’93 and ’87 Vette.) All was fine until I plugged in the Passport Max radar detector. It tripped a circuit breaker. Checked all wires and read proper voltages but after the second time realized the low current draw LED’s used for the Vette made the <2 amp current draw (or probably a higher inrush current) detected and it tripped a breaker! I finally used the rear #37 fuse for the console auxiliary receptacle with an add-a-circuitand 2-amp mini fuse and all is fine.<o:p></o:p>

</o:p>

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom