Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Harmonic Balancer and Glass Spots?

93Rubie

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe
Ok, I got two thing going down here:

1. Has anyone ever replaced your harmonic balancer. FSM says to raise front of engine to access the balancer. That is fine and dandy, except where do you lift. Oil pan is off limits. The only thing I can think of is to jack up on the transmission bell housing. Obviously, with the motor mounts unbolted. Will that work??

An alternative idea I had was to use a cherry picker and lift up on the engine, by wraping some ratchet straps around the exhuast manifolds. Would be nice if the LT1 had some engine hooks on it.

2.I have what appears to be hard water/mineral deposits mostly on my hatch. Is there a good way to get rid of these so my glass is crystal clear. I have l cleaned it inside and out with regular glass cleaner but to no help.
I was think that clay bar might work, as it works on the paint at removing deposits of "stuff." What do you think?

Piece of timber under the pan to spread the weigh works fine; 2"x 8" or similar as large as you can make it

Not sure if you own the balancer removal tool or not, but what I did was rent it from Auto Zone then went to the hardware store and got a couple of bolts the same thread as the center bolt that's used, only shorter. That worked for me on the L98.

We removed the balancer on my 92 without jacking the engine, we just banged on it with a block of wood and mallet, just hammer all around the balancer lightly a little at a time and it will pop off,

We removed the balancer on my 92 without jacking the engine, we just banged on it with a block of wood and mallet, just hammer all around the balancer lightly a little at a time and it will pop off,
Yep,thats all it takes!!:thumb
And with a little ingenuity and a modified balancer puller,You can then get the hub out!:thumb:thumb

As for water spots on the glass,I use "Liquid ICE Clay-bar"!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Balancer, yes block of wood on the back side. Do not hit it on the outside edge of the balancer though. 2 piece balancer. If you hit on the out side you could knock it loose from the "fabric" insulator. Hit on the web close to the hub.

Glass: Use any good quality glass top stove polish.(Your wife won't mind if ya use some) Sounds strange but works well.:beer

Thanks for the replys guys. I should clarify, I am only replacing the balancer itself, NOT THE HUB. The balancer is wobbling, so the rubber has probably started to separate from the balancer. Not surprising considering my nickname is "Rev it Up Roy." That and my back window has the words "Redline for a Goodtime", in Vinyl lettering. :eyerole

I appreciate the fact I can get it off without lifting the engine. I knew there had to be a way to "flat rate" it. Wood and hammer it is.

And another thing while it is one my mind, LT1 Balancers have weights in them. They need to go in the same holes in the same spot, correct? Off the old one to the new one, right? FSM mentions it so I just want to confirm.

Not sure about a new balancer 93Rubie,
we're using the original balancer, but I think you're correct, and not sure if you looked at it but there's an arrow on the balancer and that has to be pointing UP, as engine is set to TDC, and also the balancer can only go on the hub one way, hope this helps

And another thing while it is one my mind, LT1 Balancers have weights in them. They need to go in the same holes in the same spot, correct? Off the old one to the new one, right? FSM mentions it so I just want to confirm.
Yes,the weight pins go in the exact same hole in the new pulley!!:thumb The Hub has a arrow between 2 of the fingers and the Balancer pulley will go on in 3 different positions but has a small triangle or dot on the front that needs to be aligned with the arrow on the hub!!:thumb:thumb
I can't find a photo of the front side of the Balancer Pulley at the moment,but here is the hub!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
(Note the arrow on the top of hub!)

attachment.php

:pat :beer

Thanks, that will help tremendously.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom