Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Has anyone here undercoated their Vette?

Undercoating a Vette

I bought a Corvette that had been undercoated, perhaps when new. The end result was that the undercoating peeled away from the frame and sand and salt was trapped behind it. Some major rust problems because of that.
Ol Blue

Has anyone here undercoated their Vette?

My current '78 came to me with heavy undercoating on it. As ol Blue said it was pelling off with rust growing under it. I've been removing it a section at a time. I then have to grid the frame clean, put rust killer on and repaint everything. It is also a real problem to get off bolts and stuff to fix anything; like shock bolt brake-lines etc.

Make up your own mind about doing it, but think about what it going to be like to work on it afterwards. JUST MY .02 worth.

Gary

Most people have been lead to believe the undercoating is rustproofing. It is more soundproofing in function, and actually makes cars rust faster because it cracks and traps moisture.
A 30 year old Vette doesn't need undercoating, unless you have something really ugly under there you want to camoflage.
It needs TLC!:thumb

I agree, my 76 was undercoated and its a mess now, parts peeling off and looks like crap. Don't do it is my recommendation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom