Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Have the 2016s stopped projection and when do the 2017s start to get built?

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
Just wondered when the 2016s stop being built and the 2017s start to be built. I have turned in an order with my dealer (2017) but I don't believe it has been "accepted" yet? When should it be?

Just wondered when the 2016s stop being built and the 2017s start to be built. I have turned in an order with my dealer (2017) but I don't believe it has been "accepted" yet? When should it be?

Does your dealer have an allocation?

My dealer does NOT have an allocation. But says he should get one. Another dealer said I won't have that car next spring. I'd like to be driving the car in September or earlier. So when should he get an allocation for a Grand Sport? Someone said they are still building 2016s yet? There seems to be a lot of "jacking" the buyer around here? I feel like calling Bowling Green and try to get the straight skinny. I have waited long and hard for this car and I want it. And no one is getting any younger by the day. I just want "honest" answers.

The final 2016 Corvettes will roll off the line on June 24. The first full day of 2017 Corvette production will begin July 11.

When your order has been accepted, your dealer should be able to provide you with an order tracking number.

My dealer does NOT have an allocation. But says he should get one. Another dealer said I won't have that car next spring. I'd like to be driving the car in September or earlier. So when should he get an allocation for a Grand Sport? Someone said they are still building 2016s yet? There seems to be a lot of "jacking" the buyer around here? I feel like calling Bowling Green and try to get the straight skinny. I have waited long and hard for this car and I want it. And no one is getting any younger by the day. I just want "honest" answers.

If your dealer doesn't have an allocation, he can't tell you anything for sure. Your order is only a piece of paper at this point. Go to a dealer that can actually order you a car. The actual production and delivery depends on a lot of things: factory scheduling of the options you want and parts availability to mention only a couple, but GM can't set a production date until the order is placed in the system. Nothing happens until you sit down or call a dealer who knows what he/she is talking about and can place an order (has an allocation.) BTW - Bowling Green won't straighten this out for you. It's a sales/marketing issue handled on the dealer end of the supply chain. Try McMulken, God knows they have a ton of allocations, and know what they are doing.

If your dealer doesn't have an allocation, he can't tell you anything for sure. Your order is only a piece of paper at this point. Go to a dealer that can actually order you a car. The actual production and delivery depends on a lot of things: factory scheduling of the options you want and parts availability to mention only a couple, but GM can't set a production date until the order is placed in the system. Nothing happens until you sit down or call a dealer who knows what he/she is talking about and can place an order (has an allocation.) BTW - Bowling Green won't straighten this out for you. It's a sales/marketing issue handled on the dealer end of the supply chain. Try McMulken, God knows they have a ton of allocations, and know what they are doing.
Allocation for 42 orders! :thumb

So if they start producing 2017s on 11 July; then what is the latest my dealer could get an allocation and still get me the car by say mid September ish? I know there are a ton of variables but approximately? I wonder if Grand Sport allocations are going to be hard to come by just because it is a new model?

So if they start producing 2017s on 11 July; then what is the latest my dealer could get an allocation and still get me the car by say mid September ish? I know there are a ton of variables but approximately? I wonder if Grand Sport allocations are going to be hard to come by just because it is a new model?

Allocation has nothing to do with when production starts.

We've been placing 2017 orders for the last few weeks. You need to talk to your dealer to determine if and when they will receive allocation. Depending on what they get for allocation and how many orders they have ready to place ahead of you will dictate when your order is placed. It generally takes 6-8 weeks for delivery from the time your order is placed with GM. If you live out west, it could take up to three months depending on your location because the car is shipped from the Assembly Plant, to a rail yard in Ohio where it awaits boarding on to a rail car - then transported to a rail yard out west, where it awaits removal and transport to you.

Grand Sports are not on constraint, however manual transmissions are, and Watkins Glen Gray was on constraint. I haven't checked if they still are.

This may help:

Frequently Asked Questions - MacMulkin Corvette - 2nd Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

I do live out west. So the fastest I could have my car come would then be a "museum delivery" as there isn't any shipping time. We did order the Watkins Glen Grey too. If the car, because of the color, didn't make it to the museum delivery till say November; we'd have to have it shipped out here at more cost. This is way more complicated than I thought and I don't think most dealers have a "clue" as to what is going on. MacMulkin certainly does.

I do live out west. So the fastest I could have my car come would then be a "museum delivery" as there isn't any shipping time. We did order the Watkins Glen Grey too. If the car, because of the color, didn't make it to the museum delivery till say November; we'd have to have it shipped out here at more cost. This is way more complicated than I thought and I don't think most dealers have a "clue" as to what is going on. MacMulkin certainly does.

That's why we're the #2 Corvette Dealer in the country! :upthumbs

Most dealers absolutely know how the game is played, but want to string you along until they manage to get an allocation. Dealers are a lot of things, but mostly not stupid. Some will play dumb, but that's just a way to keep you involved. That's why the Corvette mega-dealers have come into prominence. They do a huge volume, have dozens of cars and many allocations, and don't have time to play games. They are too busy selling HUNDREDS of cars annually. I've had 9 Vettes, and only bought the first one locally.

You could probably save a ton of money and time getting a car from one of them and getting it shipped.

Good luck. Remember, buying a new Vette should be a fun experience. If it isn't, you are doing it wrong.:L

try2pas,

If I were you, I would definitely cancel the order you have with the dealer who has no allocations. Contact a large Corvette allocated dealer like MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua, NH. They place orders for people all over the country so MT is not out of the question!

Call them at 603-821-0370. They know what they're doing and you will get straight answers!!

Elaine

I have learned a lot here. One thing that is still unclear is if your dealer has an allocation and you have placed the order, do you fall in line, first come first served, then with other dealers who have had allocations and orders? If my dealer was the 50th allocation/order placed then do the other 49 get their build start date ahead of me? Only seems fair. And I can see if you have ordered a "constraint" then it might sit there while other allocation/orders run around you until your constraints are not constraints anymore? Out in Montana we can't drive after like November first because of the mag-chloride and sand they can start putting down on the roads. So if one orders a new vette and doesn't get it till November or December, why even order it? You can pick up a new one at MacMulkin in April of the next year for a big discount. The one you got in November or December you've had to insure, license etc. So to recapture what I have learned here; Start with a dealer with an allocation; order immediately; get a museum delivery so it cuts off the freight time of shipping to the rail yard and then waiting for rail shipment and then trucking from the rail yard out here to your dealer. Right?

I have learned a lot here. One thing that is still unclear is if your dealer has an allocation and you have placed the order, do you fall in line, first come first served, then with other dealers who have had allocations and orders? If my dealer was the 50th allocation/order placed then do the other 49 get their build start date ahead of me? Only seems fair. And I can see if you have ordered a "constraint" then it might sit there while other allocation/orders run around you until your constraints are not constraints anymore? Out in Montana we can't drive after like November first because of the mag-chloride and sand they can start putting down on the roads. So if one orders a new vette and doesn't get it till November or December, why even order it? You can pick up a new one at MacMulkin in April of the next year for a big discount. The one you got in November or December you've had to insure, license etc. So to recapture what I have learned here; Start with a dealer with an allocation; order immediately; get a museum delivery so it cuts off the freight time of shipping to the rail yard and then waiting for rail shipment and then trucking from the rail yard out here to your dealer. Right?

There is no rhyme or reason when your car will be built along with all the other orders once GM accepts the order. So you cannot tell which ones will be built first before yours.

Yes, given your location, picking up at the NCM would be the quickest option for you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom