Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Having engine issues

mike3581

Corvette
1960 corvette
I have a '60 Corvette that sat for about 3 years. The car had started and ran without issue before going into storage. After replacing the coil, condenser, starter and battery I'm having a problem having it start and run consistently. It will start and run fine once and 10 minutes later crank and crank and backfire thru the carburetors and not start. The car has a 283 with 2, 4 barrels and a 4 speed. The fuels tank and fuel lines have been replaced. I'm just frustrated beyond belief Thanks

If I were you I would also replace the distributor cap and plug wires and check the plugs. I assume you've already checked the timing. Another possibility is old gas gumming up the insides of the carbs.
Good luck !

Thanks for your reply and suggestions The plugs, wires, distributor and points were changed before storage. I've checked timing and again all seems fine. A mechanic suggested it may have something to do with the ignition switch or fuse. Any thoughts? Thanks again

When it won't start is there raw fuel running down inside the carbs? Is the fuel filter bowl full? Is the choke opening fully? How long do you run it after it initially starts ok before you shut it down and how long afterwards before trying to restart?

Tom

Thanks for your input Tom. I'm see and smelling gas in the carburetors and the fuel bowl is full. Although the choke seems to be hesitant to open. I've run the car for a good 30-45 minutes both idling and on the road and then brought it back to the shop let it sit 10-20 minutes, attempted to restart and get the constant cranking and backfiring As far as the ignition suggestion from another person I'm at a loss to see the connection.

Thanks for your input Tom. I'm see and smelling gas in the carburetors and the fuel bowl is full. Although the choke seems to be hesitant to open. I've run the car for a good 30-45 minutes both idling and on the road and then brought it back to the shop let it sit 10-20 minutes, attempted to restart and get the constant cranking and backfiring As far as the ignition suggestion from another person I'm at a loss to see the connection.
Good chance you have a sinking float in 1 or both carbs,If I remember right the carbs have brass floats and can crack over time and get gas logged and sink a bit and run over after shut down causing flooding !

Last edited:
If you can drive the car for 30-min, come back to the shop, wait 10-min, try to start then have a no-start condition, I'd say that rules out a choke problem as the choke shoud be open. It also, likely rules out flooding as the engine spits back though the carbs.

Once you have the no-start condition, what finally gets the engine to start? Do you have to wait until the engine gets cold, again?

Thanks Your info along with the others has been GREAT. Thanks so much. When, not if, I get this straightened out I share it with all. Thanks again

Thanks for your input. After the car is running, and running well, if I try to start within a couple of hours it does nothing but crank. After 3-4 hours after the engine is cooled down it will crank a few revolutions and then fire up

Couple of thoughts:
Check timing, initial and total (once running)
Make certain carburetors properly adjusted, chokes operating.

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom