Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

head choice

bobfil

Corvette
1972 convertible
I currently have a stock 350 72 corvette, and has had a rebuild before I bought it with about 35,000 on the rebuilt. As far as what is on it, it has performer manifold, gm electronic distributor,4 speed wr, 3.7 rear gear, holley 750 carb, rest of internals stock. I would like to replace heads and cam for more street performance punch. I was looking at AFR 180 aluminum heads, or vortec heads, but leaning more towards AFR. Both would keep me in the zone of .200 to .400 range flow for more torq and hp which it needs, along with a cam which I can use some help in deciding for one with above setup. What would stock pistons be on this stock 72 (flat top ?), and could you use them on the above application, let alone what the acceptable compression ratio would be? Thanks for any input , Bob.

You've already got a Performer intake.

I think I'd go with Edelbrock Performer heads and Edelbrock's camshaft.

Keep in mind that the Performer intake is a bit limited for high rpm use but you'd don't have any other choice unless you're going to change the hood to gain clearance to use a Performer RPM.

If you chose AFR, which is also a very good aftermarket head, make sure the AFR you chose is going to work with the Performer intake and the mild camshaft you're going to use.

Lastly, the 750 Holley is a bit large for a Performer level engine so, hopefully, it's a vacuum secondary carb.

my 2 cents. Need to ask your self what do you want out of the engine and RPM.

Make sure all the parts match. Each cam has a recommended CR. Piston CR needs to be within the range. Same thing with RPM.

Also aftermarket heads are not created equal. I have the Edelbrock Performer heads (and like them). I didn't have to make any changes to the accessory brackets. Other heads require making changes to the brackets as the external bolt holes are not in the same location.

Have fun :beer

Cheers from Japan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom