Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Head Light Door Motor

L

Louis Bartay

Help
My passenger side Headlight door motor stays running for a few seconds after I turn the headlight Off or On.???? The Door is flush with the Hood and opens all the way and does not make a bad noise. It just stays on for a while but the drivers side turns off like it should.

Your very welcome... Please let us know if it is a common fix between the two vehicles.

Hugh

I will post his answer as his gears also fit the C5 Corvette. But I found out on the 88-96 C4 that are spining the motors for a few seconds after the doors are up or down is because of the bushings are worn out in the motors .See page 128 Mid America Motorworks catalog. They have a repair kit for this problem, with and with out the gear. Most of the time on the C4 it is the bushings. $8.00 for the bushing, I will post what happens after I install them. I did a search here on head light door bushings that helped.

Louis, those headlight motors are extremely robust in their design so chances are it is indeed the bushings.

Here is a link to a recent Corvette Fever article on how to do the bushing replacement yourself: http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/

You can also check the December 2006 issue of Corvette Magazine, which has an in-depth article on this same repair, w/ lots of photos (pgs. 100-104).

FYI - note that the two articles above take two different approaches: CF has you take the motor off the car to do the repair, and CM lets you leave it on. I haven't done this fix myself so I can't recommend one way over the other. However, based on my reading both articles, I'd be inclined to follow the CF procedure - it's hard for me being bent over a Corvette for very long, and I'd think it would be easier to have the assembly on a workbench in front of you when you're replacing those little parts.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
:beer
Bo

Louis, those headlight motors are extremely robust in their design so chances are it is indeed the bushings.

Here is a link to a recent Corvette Fever article on how to do the bushing replacement yourself: http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/

You can also check the December 2006 issue of Corvette Magazine, which has an in-depth article on this same repair, w/ lots of photos (pgs. 100-104).

FYI - note that the two articles above take two different approaches: CF has you take the motor off the car to do the repair, and CM lets you leave it on. I haven't done this fix myself so I can't recommend one way over the other. However, based on my reading both articles, I'd be inclined to follow the CF procedure - it's hard for me being bent over a Corvette for very long, and I'd think it would be easier to have the assembly on a workbench in front of you when you're replacing those little parts.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
:beer
Bo

Thanks Bo

I will look at both. As I have purchased a nylon gear and bushings just in case both are bad. As I do not want to mess with this a second time. I did the gear replacement on my wifes 96 WS6 TA, had to epoxy the cases back together. It looks like the late model C4 is bolted together :)
Thanks again for your help and have a Happy Thanksgiving to all your family.

Best Regards
Louis&Sheri Bartay

Head Light Repair C4

I finally replaced the bushings/drive pins and a new Delrin gear as I hurt the teeth on the old while trying to remove it. I also think it is easier to just remove the head light from the hood and not have to be bent over while doing this. Ecklers has the Delrin gear and the instructions are right on. But do remove the light from the hood and do the repair on a blanket as not to scratch the paint. Really a easy task took about one hour start to finish. But I spent 30 minutes removing the material under the teeth of the new gear (per the instructions) so the gear would drop down on the worm gear.
Louis

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom