Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Head Light Problems....

KikiPhillips

Corvette
Hello Fellow Vette Lovers,

Still on the long road of Restoration, of my 1982. I'm troubleshooting a my Headlights, Low Beams work fine, Click the Signal arm to switch to High Beams and all 4 lights are off. I'm assuming from what I read that the Light Green wire is suppose to then provide power to all 4 lights.

My schematic drawing shows the light green wire becoming two wires, one going to the switch and the other going to a "printed circuit board". Giving that it is so hard to do anything with the steering column, I'm hoping to find the problem with that printed circuit board (where-ever it is).

So main question: Where and what supplies power to the Light Green wire? and where is that printed circuit board?

As always, Thanks for the Super Knowledge-base!
Kiki

The high beam switch is on the left side of the steering column. You can see it when you look down the column. The circuitboard is the high beam indicator next to the tacho ans speedo.
Begin with the switch that could be the problem.

Greetings Peter

Hello Fellow Vette Lovers,

Still on the long road of Restoration, of my 1982. I'm troubleshooting a my Headlights, Low Beams work fine, Click the Signal arm to switch to High Beams and all 4 lights are off. I'm assuming from what I read that the Light Green wire is suppose to then provide power to all 4 lights.

My schematic drawing shows the light green wire becoming two wires, one going to the switch and the other going to a "printed circuit board". Giving that it is so hard to do anything with the steering column, I'm hoping to find the problem with that printed circuit board (where-ever it is).

So main question: Where and what supplies power to the Light Green wire? and where is that printed circuit board?

As always, Thanks for the Super Knowledge-base!
Kiki

Peers81 is correct. The headlight switch supplies power to the dimmer switch, and the dimmer switch supplies power to the 2 green wires for your high beams (along with the low beams). Check your dimmer switch located at the base of the steering column for adjustment and continuity for the high beams (green wires). The circuit board is in your dash panel (or IP), and when you get power to your high beams the dash indicator should work. Good luck with it. :)

Ok...How do I examine the switch? Does the cover around the steering column pop off?

Ok...How do I examine the switch? Does the cover around the steering column pop off?

If you have a hush panel between the column and the firewall, remove it. The dimmer switch should be located on the top or side of the steering column close to the firewall with a metal rod running up to the turn signal switch to activate the switch and there should be 5/16" headed bolts holding it in place. Good luck with it. :)

Wow! Too Cool....You just saved me from ripping apart my steering column! I had seen that rod before and didn't know what it went to. I'll replace the dimmer switch asap. I would've swore that the switch was in the handle....This is why yall are considered the Pro's! I'll let you know the results of the new switch...(BTW, it's freezing outside!)

Wow! Too Cool....You just saved me from ripping apart my steering column! I had seen that rod before and didn't know what it went to. I'll replace the dimmer switch asap. I would've swore that the switch was in the handle....This is why yall are considered the Pro's! I'll let you know the results of the new switch...(BTW, it's freezing outside!)

Keep in mind that there should be two metal rods, one for the ignition switch and one for the dimmer switch. Ignition switch should be on the right side of the column, and dimmer switch on the left. Look for any burned wire connectors also when you check the dimmer switch. Good luck with it. :)

Coolage! I bought a new dimmer switch from Autozone today $16 bucks...I now have good brights.
Thanks for the help!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom