Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Header Installation

BOBCHAD , locking header bolts are an excellent idea. also look at summit,or jeg's ,etc for some quality header gaskets. i've seen some that just hook over the end bolts ,makes istallling easier.

good luck.

robin

On my Dynomax Headers I used the cheapo collector gaskets that were supplied with them. 2000 miles later they're still OK & not leaking. When I ordered the Headers from Summit I also ordered copper gaskets for the Header/Head seal. They've got "hooks" at the ends to make installation simple, but they are expensive. Install the Headers with just the 2 end bolts fitted a couple of turns in & then you can drop the gasket down between the Headers & the Head so that the "hook" slip over the bolts. Then fit the remaining bolts & tighten up, working from the inner ones outwards. For bolts I used stainless cap head set screws (can't remember if they were 1" or 1 1/8" or even 1 1/4"). With a spring washer under each they were very easy to tighten with an Allen key & I haven't had to touch them since the initial tighten after the 1st time the engine was run up to temp. I've had no problems with them coming loose, but I did put them in tight!
:beer

Bob,
If I have problems with the collector gasket that is an easy fix.
Exactly what I thought :)
I found that after fitting the Dynomax Headers the mixture seemed weak (I've got a post about it ) so, if you've got a stock Q-jet fitted with stock CH secondary needles, then a set of DA needles should get you in the right ballpark. My DA needles only arrived yesterday &, as the Vette is garaged for the winter I haven't been able to check them out, but the info came from Lars who really knows his Q-jets.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom