Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Review: Headers and X-pipe used now trying to fit them in Coupé 2009

hangus

Corvette
2009 Black C6 Coupé with LS3
Hi! I´ve been doing some research to find out the difference between the LS2 and my LS3 when it comes to headers and X-pipe. In Sweden we have to pay a fortune if we are going to get the things you have at your own backyard in the U.S. So accidentally I bought myself a couple of used headers and a very nice X-pipe 3 inch. I had to weld new connections to it because it was made for 3 inch not 2.5 inch that I have on my cat back system, Borla Touring. Also put some heat strap round the headers. What I´m going to find out is if these headers and X-pipe that comes from a Corvette C6 2005, fit my Corvette 2009? Have read some issues about bigger gearbox and so on here at the forum. I will come back with pictures when I start this job. The brand of headers are copies of American Racing and you find them here:

CORVETTE C6 HEADERS AND 3" X PIPE, Corvette Headers, XS Power Inc.

Also bring you guys a picture of the system.
:w:w

Attachments

• Headersandxpipe.jpg
    Headersandxpipe.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 167
Anxiously awaiting your review! :thumb

Some Pictures of Headers with X-pipe

So after a while I have successfully mounted the system on my car. And the pictures show:
kopiaamericanracing.jpg
copy of American racing, half the price, and used but in a very good condition!

IMG_3053.jpg
I had to put the new X-pipe over the original to be able to weld the angle correct, the system works for a 2008, not for the 2009 where the angle over the gearbox is different.
IMG_3027.jpg
I put some heatprevention on both of the headers but I had to remove everything when i mounted them on the car. They fit great but the engine could move so that the header on the drivers side goes to close to the steering shaft. But not any big issue.
IMG_3058.jpg
The original pipe has welded the two pipes in between, I made a similar construction on the X-pipe that is 3 inch.
IMG_2488.jpg
This part needed some extra clamps (not to be seen on this picture) and a bearing to hold the system tighter.
IMG_3727.jpg
When I started the car the engine sounded like crap. Made me a little bit sad, I thougt that the system was leaking? Anyhow i diagnosed it whith a scan tool, and the tool said that cylinder 6 had a misfire. And when I checked the sparkplug it was broken. And i was happy again! I Will soon give you a picture of the underneath of the car, it is really a difference to drive it now! I drove the car to Stockholm for a tuning in one of the best firms in Sweden, and guess if it was worth it! The LS3 is now acting like the beast it really is.

A wiew from under the car

Here is a photo taken under the car, in Sweden we have to check the car once a year, it´s a systematic testing of the car and if it´s system works. So I had two codes, P0420, and P0430 Catalyst under the level of efficiency. I have to fix this until next year, and today when I came home I erased the two codes to see if they come back again. The clamps are JEGS and I found them thanks to this forum. All the best to you guys!:)
AvgasunderC6.jpg
Kim Wilde, Wiew from a bridge..?

Attachments

• IMG_3911.jpg
    IMG_3911.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 139
Hangus,
We have to pay a fortune for what you have in your backyard also. ;)

The American Racing headers are one of the best one can get. Enjoy and let us know how you enjoy!!

My guess is the car is setting the cat efficiency codes, P0420 and P0430, because the cats you have installed are not efficient. That is a common problem with aftermarket cats. Some aftermarket cats are, indeed, now restriction but, in order that they have a low price point, they don't have much catalytic reactant in them and, thus, are not very efficient at catalyzing the exhaust.

The cat monitoring codes (P0420 and 0430) will set when the the rear O2sensor signals begin to mimic the front O2 sensor signals. When that happens, the ECM assumes the cats have become inefficient and turns on the MIL. From the ECM's perspective, it doesn't matter why the cat is inefficient (high milage, worn out stock cats or low levels of reactant in new aftermarket cats) it just assumes they are inefficient

If the problem is lack of reactant, it is likely the codes will come back and unlikely that you'll ever solve the problem unless you put stock cats back on.

You will be able to see the problem is you have the equipment to monitor the ECM serial data stream and read all the O2s B1S1, B2S1, B1S2 and B2S2. If all the signals look the same, then the cats aren't working right. If the front O2s fluctuate a lot and the rear O2s hardly fluctuate at all or are flatlined then the cats are working.

If there are any aftermarket calibration engineers (ie: tuners) in Sweden who are good with HPTuners or EFILive, they can use that software to disable the cat monitoring feature in the ECM calibration and then, whether the cats are working or not, the MIL will not come on. Now, if Sweden actually measures the exhaust gases during your annual test, that won't work, but if all they do is look at the serial data, then it will work.

The other problem some aftermarket cats have is they are too far back in the exhaust system, don't stay hot enough and stop catalyzing exhaust at low exhaust flow. If that's the problem here, I encourage you to wrap the headers and the pipes up to the cat entries with DEI Titanium exhaust wrap. Hopefully that will keep enough heat in the cats so they stay lit.

Good luck.

A soul mate without computer engineering skills?

Hi there!
On behalf of the black Corvette C6 and me myself - thanks for valuable information! I have to confess that the header and X-pipe system is NOT American Racing, they would perhaps sue me for branding interference? No, the system i XS Power, here is a link: CORVETTE C6 HEADERS AND 3" X PIPE, Corvette Headers, XS Power Inc.

And now to the precious information that Hib gave me: And I see myself as a soul mate without computer engineering skills (and perhaps so do others on this forum?). The firm I had my car reprogrammed at, has responded to my request about the codes. The thing is that the Check Engine light does not come up, if it had, I would probably erased the codes before I went to the "investigation palace" (my nickname, If you ever go to Sweden, look up for a place called "Bilprovningen". Very dangerous could be). I bought my scan toool: Pro-Series CAN Scan Tool, from diydiagnostics.com and I´m not sure if I can monitor the ECM serial data stream? Perhaps only available with Tech II scanner?

Anyhow I decided the strategy that I will use. I will in a few weeks scan the codes to see if the P0420 and P0430 comes up again. If they do, i will go to Stockholm (going anyway because of the European Championship in Dragrace is there in August) and have the cats controlled as Hib recommended. If they are the problem the firm says they will reprogram the ECM so that the problem doesn´t occur again. In Sweden we actually measures the exhaust gases during the annual test and the serial data comes on the protocol. Not so good it I would sell the car. Perhaps I would go for an X-pipe with green cats.

I think that a winter project could be to wrap the headers and the pipes up to the cat entries with DEI Titanium exhaust wrap. I did not think of exhaust wrap to keep the heat. I was thinking the other way that it only would cool down the interior side of the engine compartment.

I´m not an expert as you all can see but I learn a great deal about the car you in the US produced for me and all the other fans of combined strength and beauty here in Sweden.

All the best and I will let you know about the experience that the now easy breathing LS3 will give me this summer. A new thread is better for this purpose I think.

All the best and many thanks for replies!

hangus

www.hangus.se

Last edited:
While you can have a tuner disable the cat monitoring feature in the calibration, doing that will not make the exhaust gases pass an emissions test. All it will do is disable the test the OBD2 diagnostics run to verify cat monitoring is working. When the tests fail, either P0420, P0430 or both will set and the service engine light comes on. When you disable the tests, they never run, so the light will never come on for those two faults even if that cats are not working at all.

By chance, have you done any measuring of exhaust system temps with an IR thermometer? If the cats are working, the outlet temp should be quite a bit higher than the inlet temp.

If Sweden tests actiual exhaust emissions, you'll have to do one of two things:
1) replace the aftermarket cats with stock cats
2) if the aftermarket cats have enough reactant to be effective, then you need to make sure they stay hot enough to work by wrapping the exhaust and/or moving them forward in the system. The closer they are to the engine, the better the cats will work.

Another thing you can do to enhance cat function is just before you go in the test stall, drive the car in a manner which gets exhaust heat up high. Aggressive driving will do it. Also, provided your cooling system is in good condition, driving around the block several times at high rpm in first or second gear also puts heat in the exhaust.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom