Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headers for 1966 Vette

Old66vette

Corvette
1966 Laguna Blue Convertible
Good afternoon all,

I am a new member, having joined last week. I have been trying to purchase a set of stainless steel headers for my 66 Vette. I am the original owner, having purchased the car in April 1966. I ordered it with the L79 option, 327ci@350hp. In 1970 I pulled the motor and blueprinted it. Bored .030 over, 12.5:1 pistons, off road Z cam, ported and polished heads, changed spark plug orientation from straight to angle (using a kit manufactured by Dunlop Engineering, Cleveland, OH. I replaced the stock exhaust with Hooker side exhaust. It was so loud that I removed them. Then I installed a set of long tube headers connected to Corvair turbo mufflers. Sound was great. I put the car into storage in 1976 and took it out last year. Finally got it started but now I need to replace the headers. I lost the paperwork on the ones I installed 1n 1970 so I don't remember the manufacturer. There is a number stamped in the flange 2107 that I have not been able to identify.

I ordered a stainless set from Stainless Works, p/n 41X18X12-35. They bolted right up, no problem with the spark plugs. However the collector was about 2" from the vertical face of the floor pan and the exhaust pipes could not be hooked up. I went back and forth with Stainless Works who verified that this header was for a C2 Vette. I finally had to return them and got my money back, less restocking charge. I then ordered a stainless steel set from Race-Mart, p/n 62300 manufactured by Hedman. These bolted up OK, but could not install two spark plugs, and additionally the top of the collector was 1/16" from the bottom of the oil filter which would cause the oil temperature to greatly increase. Trying to return the headers turned into a nightmare with Race-Mart not willing to take the headers back. It was a bad experience with Race-Mart.

Has anyone had this problem in trying to fit a set of headers to a small block C2? Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes the correct header for this car? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old66vette

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

I'm going to move your thread into the C1/C2 Forum for greater exposure...

Welcome to the CAC

These are listed for '68-'81 but since the frame and engine are the same I can't see why they wouldn't work. Since they offer the extension pipes with a ball socket fitment should be easier. A call to them might answer your plug and exhaust alignment questions. Not sure what oil filter you are using. I installed Dougs on my '59 years ago and had to switch from a canister to a PF 25 which is the short filter for adequate clearance.

American Racing Headers

Might find some useful info here too.

Header Guide

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom