Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headers, what about Headman?

Tobias,

I am not an expert by any means but I have done a little bit of reading on headers. Honestly, I have not read many articles praising the Hedman units. They are inexpensive for a reason. I've read about quality and fitting issues.

On the other hand, I have heard great things about the Hooker and TPIS header systems. They do cost more, especially the TPIS system. But the TPIS system is regarded as one of the best header systems out there for the C4 cars. You can find them at www.tpis.com

Quality and fitment are issues, yes. Also, the primary size is 1-5/8" as opposed to 1-3/4" (Hooker TPIS), so unless you plan no further mods, etc. then perhaps Hedman would be worth a look. Otherwise, I'd pass.... you get what you pay for.

The weld quality on the Hedmans is TERRIBLE. We ended up fixing at least three different leaks on mine before coating and installing.

Also realize that black paint they put on the cheap ones will burn off almost instantly...they WILL rust! Even with their ceramic coated line...they ONLY coat the outside! (I called a while back and asked).

Bill

I put the TPIS coated long tubes on mine and I'm very happy. Had them on in an hour. Fit is perfect....Frustration for me is not worth the cost of saving a few $$.

I would stay away from Hedman headers, I dont like the fit & finish. Primary tube size is always a subject of opinion for a 350, some people would say you dont need the larger 1.75" from the rest until youre pushing 450hp. Dont even worry about that stuff, just pick a header on quality.

I have the TPiS, get those.

I went with Hooker and the fit and quality are awesome.

I have not seen any headman headers for a few years but I owned them several years ago and they were a P.O.S.
From what people who have bought them recently are saying I don't think they have improved.
I have TPIS and they have been on the car for 6 years with header wrap on them and they still are in good condition. They say that the wrap will burn headers up but my TPIS are holding up very well.
The quality of the hookers are ok but I have read where several had to beat dents in the primary tubes to clear the spark plugs.
My heads are AFR with the L98 angle and I bought TPIS headers for the L98 angle plugs. When ordering a header you should buy one for the plug angle that your engine has. You won't have that option with the cheaper headers they use the one size fits all theory

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom