Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headers

sci68

Corvette
2002 Chevy Corvette Convertible, Pewter
Good morning. Looking to install headers on my 2002 C5. Already have corsa sport exhaust w/ x-pipe so headers and hi-performance cats are what I am after. I've read a lot through searches at CAC as well as other sites and not sue what to do.
  1. Does brand make a difference (kooks, american racing, LG)? Ditto for cats.
  2. Do I go with long tube?
Suggestions/advice appreciated. Willing to spend if it makes a real difference in HP gain, sound is a close second. Also want it to be emission compliant (registered in NYS). Kooks seems to be the most affordable of the three.

Also, any suggestions on air induction? Read up on Vararam induction and its design of using the fog lamps for air induction. Anyone have these installed? Any issues, notice any HP gains? ;help

Thanks!

I have no personal experience with headers, but the general consensus seems to be that long tube header are better and that some brands are better built than others.

I have a Vararam on my 2002 Z06. I picked up 3-4 MPH at the dragstrip after installing the Vararam. Trap speed is a function of horsepower and weight, so I attribute that gain to the vararam. Between the Vararam and drag radials, I cut about 0.6 seconds off my elapsed time. The drag radials were a big part of that, as shown by about 0.3 second improvement in 60 foot time. But I believe that the Vararam was also part of the improvement. The downside to the Vararam is the risk of water ingestion. Those low intakes like water just as much as air. However, I have driven in a tremendous downpour without any adverse consequences. The cases of hydrolock that I have heard about all involved deep puddles of standing water.

I have no personal experience with headers, but the general consensus seems to be that long tube header are better and that some brands are better built than others.

I have a Vararam on my 2002 Z06. I picked up 3-4 MPH at the dragstrip after installing the Vararam. Trap speed is a function of horsepower and weight, so I attribute that gain to the vararam. Between the Vararam and drag radials, I cut about 0.6 seconds off my elapsed time. The drag radials were a big part of that, as shown by about 0.3 second improvement in 60 foot time. But I believe that the Vararam was also part of the improvement. The downside to the Vararam is the risk of water ingestion. Those low intakes like water just as much as air. However, I have driven in a tremendous downpour without any adverse consequences. The cases of hydrolock that I have heard about all involved deep puddles of standing water.

Thanks for the information on the vararam. No worries about water getting in there, the car is only out on dry, sunny days.....:cool

I am getting ready to do the same thing as well, don't have to worry about emmissions here though so I will be doing straight pipes all the way back. ?Here is a site a friend told me of where you can get long tubes and x-pipe for $475, only thing is no directions and no clamps included, They say 10-20hp gains but i was told going straight pipe like I am and cutting out catalytic converters I should pull 30-40 hp gain. I have the old Mid America design exhaust with no mufflers!! Talk about loud, wait tl those straight pipes are on!!

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1698

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom