Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlamp Change

Chrisr

Corvette
'07 Monterey Red/Cashmere Vert
I just installed Sylvania Sliver Star low beams in my '03 coupe. The standard bulbs just weren't cutting it for night driving.

I must say, Thanks to the CAC for the forums, the search and the great people here. It made the job so darn easy!!! The only problem I had was if my hands were any bigger, I wouldn't have been able to install the bulbs!!!

The bulbs are a noticable difference from the stock ones. Not a huge difference, but a big help at night, none the less. Now that I know they work well and it's easy enough to install, I'm going to do the high beams next.

Darn!!! It feels great doing the very first mod to my car!!!!:beer

Congratulations :m
The first mod is always the one most fondly remembered. (I say this, but I've only done one mod myself :L)

I'm glad the CAC helped you.

Tammy

Good to know they are better than stock. I can't see jack at night with my 98 stock headlamps. And those fog lamps are worthless. So I may be getting some Sylvanias in the next few weeks.

AGREED! Can't see jack at night as well myself w/ stock low beams. Just FYI... I went to West Coast Corvette online and bought some "hyperwhite" 80Watt low beam bulbs for 34.95 + shipping.... They are 80W not stock 55W so they ought to light up things quite a bit! I'll let you all know

Steve

ocguy said:
AGREED! Can't see jack at night as well myself w/ stock low beams. Just FYI... I went to West Coast Corvette online and bought some "hyperwhite" 80Watt low beam bulbs for 34.95 + shipping.... They are 80W not stock 55W so they ought to light up things quite a bit! I'll let you all know

Steve
I couldn't stand doing nothing but Nascar today, so I went down and got some Silverstars at Advance Auto. They are real bright white compared to the stock yellow light. I'm sure they will be a quantum leap better in visibilty.

ocguy said:

Steve

That's why they are not D.O.T legal. You will blind oncoming drivers.

I just put the Silver Stars on the high beam side, I think they are better than stock, but the difference isn't night and day ... ;) .

One thing I can see now, that I didn't notice before, the main part of the high beam is hitting the road fairly close to the car, about where I think the low beam should be hitting. I might try to crank the aim up, just a smidge, see if it helps. I think that coming up just a bit could make a big difference.

If uncoming traffic flashes me when I'm on low beam, I'll know I smidged too far!

Ron ... :w

RonJ, I agree, they aren't night and day, but much better than stock. I knew my low beams were bad when my fog/driving lamps (stock) were brighter!:L

After installing the Silver Star low beams, I had much better visibilty with the low beams. Not quite what I was expecting (maybe I was expecting too much?). But at least I'm not squinting anymore to see at night!!

Oh... I stand corrected, the "new" 80Watt low beams from WCC are 34.95 EACH... YIKES!!! I bought them and will tell you all what they're like in a few days, with pics!

Steve

We have the SilverStars and want to install them in our '03 Anniversary Red convertible. Where can I find the great tips you used?

Actually survivor, it's really simple.

All you need is a phillips screwdriver.

1. Turn on your lights, once they pop up, turn the switch back one click so just your parking lights are on. This will leave the buckets in the up position, but turn out the lights.

2. On the headlight, you have a black surround piece held on by 4 screws. Remove the screws and then remove the black surround. This will give you access to the bulbs. To remove the surround, I found that if you slide the top out, then gently pull up, it comes off easy.

3. Now the tricky part. You have to do this mostly by feel. If you have large hands or find you can't get your hand in there, find someone with smaller hands. Reach in and grasp the back of the low beam housing. You turn it 1/4 turn counterclockwise (I think), and gently pull back and out.

4. Remove old bulb, insert new one (DON'T touch new bulb with your fingers if you can help it. You'll leave the oil from your skin on it, and possibly blow the bulb when it's on and gets hot.) Also, you'll notice (by feel) there's wires back there. Just be careful when removing/installing and you'll be just fine

High beams are alot easier, since they are located right there where you can get at them easier.

5. Re-attach black surrounds and your done!!!

It took me about 25 minutes at most, to do both low beams, and I have fairly large hands.

If you have anymore questions, you can post here or email me.

Good luck!!

Chris

Thank you Chrisr!!! My hands should fit; I'll let you know how it goes.

I miss the HIDs I had in my last car. I was looking at the Silver Stars but the life expectancy factor compared to regular halogens looked really poor, especially given the price difference. What are peoples' experience with these Sylvanias lasting?

Chad.

I put PIAA's in mine yesterday, the light is much brighter then what was in it. I couldn't get my hands in there to change them and pretty much had to dissasemble the headlights to do it; never thought to get one of the Kids to try and fit their hands in there :crazy

Last night with the brighter lights it was more obvious that the passenger side light isn't rotating as far up as the drivers side so I will have to adjust that.

ocguy said:

Steve

I have to wonder if the 80Watt bulbs are tough on the light switch ... it's a fair bit more amperage you're asking it to carry.

Ron ... :confused

Hopefully the lights go out before he causes an accident. 80 watt low beams = total disrespect for other drivers.

its not the wattage that's the problem.... it's where their aimed. you can run properly aimed 80 watt low beams and not disturb oncomming..... been doing it for 5 years. no one has EVER flashed me. aim...not brightness. bye the bye.. you most likely do not have to fool with aim unless it was off with the 55's. just my .02 worth.

Changing Headlights

I too just replaced the standard bulbs with the Silverstar bulbs. It was a battle, but my bleeding and scared hands will recover. And I have small hands. I don't know what the design team was thinking, because headlights do need replacing from time to time. The instructions in the users manual aren't much good, but at least it's pretty obvious as to what has to be done.

Silverstreak 04 LS1

jimmie jam said:
its not the wattage that's the problem.... it's where their aimed. you can run properly aimed 80 watt low beams and not disturb oncomming..... been doing it for 5 years. no one has EVER flashed me. aim...not brightness. bye the bye.. you most likely do not have to fool with aim unless it was off with the 55's. just my .02 worth.

How do aim 80 watt low beams and be D.O.T. legal? You can't. 80watt low beams are illegal unless they are used off road.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom