Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headlight adjustments

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello all,

I was looking at the headlights today and i noticed that 1 light is lower than the other (when the headlights are off and down). Someone told me that there is a way to adjust how low the headlights go when off, and how high they go when on. Can anyone provide some more info about this?

thanks!

Sorry, dont have the answer, but i'd like to know too.. :)

:w
-Stefan

I'm assuming you mean the headlight doors and not the headlamps themselves?? 68 - 82 systems should be about the same....will check assy manual when I get home...can't remember if it has stop bolts or what...

correct, i mean the entire headlight assembly, not just the lightbulbs.

Thanks.

I will try e-mailing you the pages with adjustments...keep in ind this is for a 68....parts should be close.....

minifridge,

E-mail address is kicking back messages...tried 3 times......

Up and down of the headlight housing within the opening is adjusted at each headlight door pivot. With the lights up, you will see the pivot. Loosen the three bolts on each side a little and you will be able to raise the unit. Once you have it where you want it, tighten the bolts.

Cycle the lights by hand to ensure clearance is good all around, up and down. With the headlights closed, the doors should be flush with the hood surround panel.

Left and right adjustment of the housing within the opening is set by the collars (left and right) on the headlight door next to the pivots mentioned above. Loosen the set screws and move the headlight unit to where you want it. Slide the collars to take up the gap, then tighten the set screws.

Again, cylce the lights by hand to ensure you've got the gaps you want, left and right. With the lights closed, gap left and right should be about 1/8th".

Install the headlight bezels and check everything again.

:)

By cycle the lights by hand, i assume you mean raise and lower them.
Do i need to disconnect any of the vacuum lines to do that?

if i remember correctly, there is a simple stop bolt adjustment to align the top surface of the light housing with the front nose fiberglass. i made the adjustment on my 78 a long time ago, and it was really simple. the easiset way to work on the housing is through the grill openings. just remove the grill on the side you want to adjust. if you look at the assembly that houses the clevis and you will see a bolt on the bottom of it. that will adjust the front of the headlight lid to match the body. if the whole assembly is low, then the procedure described above is necessary.

Ok, I'll take another look.
I replaced the headlight adjustment screws because they were broken, and re-installed the headlight. The door is very close to level. The front is about 1/4 of an inch lower than the fiberglass at the nose.

BTW, i love the '78 Pace Car. I am going to have my 82 repainted in a few months, and I am seriously thinking a black/silver combination that would be similiar to the pace car.

Also, there is a Chevrolet dealer near my office. In their showroom, they have a 1978 Pace Car. It has 6 (yes SIX) miles on the odometer, and the window stickers. it also has 4 "not for sale" signs. It is still fun to look at.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom