Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headlight asm ajustments

lrh

Corvette
1976 white Coupe
I have been under her, I have read the threads on headlights, I have a assembly manual but I can not get the whole headlight assembly to sit higher in the hole. Someone please tell me how to raise the whole assembly or at lease the outside part so it does not scrape when opening and closing.

At each pivot point of the headlight assembly, there are three bolts holding the bushing in place. You can loosen the three bolts on each side (six total) and it will allow you to move the pivot assembly up, down, front, back about 3/8" or so. Move it where you want it, snug the bolts down, then manually lift the light to watch the travel.

Your bushings may be worn out. The good news is you can get them new from most any Corvette aftermarket retailer.

Good luck, and welcome to CAC!

Got home, loosened the six screws and pushed up on the assembly and the one side still sits about ¼ inch in the hole. Would a combination of adjustments make the difference or like you mentioned the bushings. Thanks – I have learned a ton from all the stuff that is on this site.

The entire assembly is bolted to the car in four corners of each lamp assembly. You can not "shim" the rear (the hood side) of the assembly as it bolts right up against the main support that is bonded to the nose of the car and runs across to support both headlight assemblies.

You could shim the front near the bumper up as the assembly bolts to the top of the front support.

It is possible however that somebody did put shims in the rear which would force it too low in the hole. Those bolts could also be loose. The worse case scenario would be the upper nose support has debonded from the nose of the car sagging on the inside causing the headlight assembly to sit low.

If the bushings are worn out, you won't be able to move the door to the highest position. Can you wiggle it to the highest/level position, yet it won't stay there when you let gravity take over?

Stay at it, you will get it right soon.

The rear (near hood) outside bolt of the 4 that attach the assembly is tight but the assembly is broken all around that bolt. You would have thought I would have seen that earlier. Any way to fix it? I just looked in the Mid America catalog and it looks like they call that piece the Support RH headlight Actuator $189.99. I have to say thanks, I spent so much time adjusting everything from underneath it took someone else to get me out of the mental box I was in. At least now I know what the problem is. It is about this time that I need one of those smiley and frowney faces together. Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom