Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight Cover Damage

yellow_2002_germany

Corvette
2006 Velocity Yellow
I have attached a picture of the headlight cover on my 2006. These cracks or whatever they are originate on the INSIDE of the lens. Does anyone else have this damage on their headlight lenses? Can anyone give me advice on how to fix it short of spending $1000 on a new headlight. Unfortunately the covers are not available separately. The damage is on both sides though the driver's side is not as bad.

Headlight.jpg

WOW!
Never seen anything like that. The covers on my '06 are still in good shape.

I have attached a picture of the headlight cover on my 2006. These cracks or whatever they are originate on the INSIDE of the lens. Does anyone else have this damage on their headlight lenses? Can anyone give me advice on how to fix it short of spending $1000 on a new headlight. Unfortunately the covers are not available separately. The damage is on both sides though the driver's side is not as bad.

View attachment 6017
do you have the protector film on the lens or any mods to lights for more output??

do you have the protector film on the lens or any mods to lights for more output??

No, I don't. It is just the cover. I just wish Chevy sold them separately. You can get every other outside lenses separately, just not these. I guess if a rock kicks up and cracks a cover you just have to spend $1000 to buy a whole new headlight assembly.:mad

What Tuna said,

WOW, I've never seen anything like that either. Both of mine are fine.

Your lenses are suffering from "crazing." This happens when they're heated up or from flexion. The only way to heat them up (internally) is to install higher wattage bulbs inside them. Since your are HID (and are supposed to be "cool" then that's not it. However, you DO have incandescent bulbs in your ambers. This generates a lot of heat (as discoverd by electrical connections have been reported as "melted.")
Here are your choices~

1. Spend the $2000 on new headlamps. (Hopefully, it won't happen again.)

2. Send your headlamps to someone like Lingenfelter that removes your lens and replaces it with theirs. (Don't know the cost here.)

3. Get some lenses from an auction site, and replace them yourself. (I hear it takes about an hour each.)

4. Leave them as is and get insurance to buy new ones when you make a claim. (Something about driving thru a dust storm, I heard.)

5. Do not have clear bra installed on the lenses as it helps hold the inside temps up.

The only thing I do while driving is turn off the ambers, hoping that the lenses will stay cooler...(that and I'm trying to reduce the underhood fire risk from the wires/connectors...)

I have found out where I can purchase lenses for replacement. I will not mention where from since I do not believe they are a sponsor here.

I might give that a try in the spring.

Anyone know how easy it is to remove the headlight assembly from the car?

I have not made any modifications to my headlights. Maybe I can find an LED bulb for the amber side indicator lamp. Who knows.

Actually this is a pretty common problem. I had this happen on my 05. I replaced them and the first series of hot days that i had the car covered outside it happened again. It sucks. There is suppose to be a way to remove most of the scathing or whatever it is called. They do actually have a term for it but I am at a loss to remember the name right now. Anyway, don't feel alone as I know several others with C6's that have the problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom