Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Headlight Door Removal

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello L81 family. I am requesting any tips, advice, or suggestions on removing and installing a new headlight door for the passenger side. I have already gotten the new door and had it painted.

Thanks for the help.

BBerry

Removing the headlight ass'y is considerably easier with a late model C3 due to the removable lower valance panel. Best bet is to put the car up on jackstands and remove lt lower valance panel, spoilers, and grill/turn signal ass'y. This should open up the the area around the headlight ass'y to be removed. I would suggest placing a piece of cardboard across the A/C condenser to help protect it from from accidental damage. You should be able to remove the vacuum lines and then the four bolts that hold the headlight mounting bracket to the header bar and nose reinforcement bar. The headlight ass'y should drop down and out. Two people will help drop the ass'y and set it back in easier.

I agree with SVO; they have to come out from the bottom (were installed from the bottom on the assembly line). Sadly, you should steel yourself to the possibility of scratching your new paint. It happens.

:)

Oh yes, since 6880 Mike mentioned it, you can use the green 3M painters tape to tape off the edges of the headlight door opening in the front surround and the edges of the headlight door itself to help protect against chipping your paint. apply a couple of layers or so for maximum protection. Just don't leave the tape on for several days with the car in the sun.

And even if you leave it on for several weeks, no problem you can get everything off with WD40 :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom