Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight doors won't close

Craig-o

Corvette
2001 Navy Blue Convert, 6-Speed
I searched the forum, but couldn't find this addressed previously. I have a 2001 convertibel, and when I went to the garage this morning, the headlight doors were up. I know I turned them off last night, and the lamps work fine, but both doors are up.

I can turn the headlights on and off (the lamps function) but the doors will not close.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions, Patric; but I think my symptoms are different from the threads you found. Since posting, I have been successful in lowing each headlight by hand, so it's clearly not the gear issue that others have had. Also, since the bulbs light up, I'm sure the switch on the stalk is working. Additionally there is no noise at all from the motors. For now, if I have to turn the lights on, I'll have to manually raise the headlamp doors.

Since the switch works, and since both doors are equally affected, I'm inclined to say that there's a problem between the stalk, and wherever the circuit splits to provide power to the door motors (each door is on a separate fuse, both of which I checked and are fine). I guess it's time to purchase the GM shop manual, and attempt to read the wiring diagram.

Any other ideas?

One last update. I backed the car out of the garage to wash it today, and the doors worked fine - at first. I left the parking lights on with the car off to wash the lenses. Then, when I turned them off, the doors stayed open. Once I started the car, and turned the switch on and off a few times, the doors seemed to work.

Anyone have any experience with a weak battery? Might this be symptomatic of a battery that's on it's last legs?

If I remember right you can leave them up and not have the lights on.
If that is the case it could be an electrical issue.
A bad relay or switch could be the problem if it’s not the battery.

Craig,
Are you getting any CODES from the DIC? If not, I'd be inclined to think your headlight door issue is likely a relay of some sort. If it is the battery, I think you may find you have other electrical codes showing up. The electrical systems in C5s begin to do weird things when the battery needs replacing, and likely notice other symptoms.

-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom