Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight is opening by itself

Koop

Corvette
YELLOW 69 modified GM Crate ZZ383, LS2 TBSS
My right headlight opened up all by itself on my '69. I'm pretty sure I can hear the actuator hissing. It's been doing this for about a month, if I leave it sit in the garage for 4-5 days it will close by itself.

I disconnect the vacuum lines and plug them when it's shut will it stay shut until I replace the actuator?

I suppose I could experiment...

Thanks

Your actuator is most likely ok, check the right vacuum relay if it's only the right one that opens.
vacuum.jpg

Thanks,

I printed that, but only half came out of the printer. Fortunately it was the right side! I guess I'm going under this morning.

Koop

I took a quick look this morning, the relay looks like a one piece unit that services both headlights. I pulled the main hose off the relay and the headlight went down on the spot. I hooked it back up and all is well for now.

My '69 is a very early car, I suspect the chart you posted is for the later car.

It appears you lead me to the culprit. I'll order up a new relay and put it in and hope that fixes it.

Thanks again

My '69 is a very early car, I suspect the chart you posted is for the later car.

My bet would be on the actuator. Default position is up when it loses vacuum. Try using some longer lengths of line to swap actuators with the other headlight assembly to see if the problem goes to the other headlight ass'y.

My 69 is a September 1969 build car...I thought that all 69s' used a single relay:confused

Since I've never had to mess with the vacuum system I'm going to make a guess here.

Since the head light opens when it has vacuum put to it and does nothing when it has no vacuum.

Then it must be randomly getting vacuum when it's not supposed to.

I think that points to the Relay.

There are some differences on the early '69s vs. the later cars, I don't know if the relay is one of those, but mine looks like it only has one relay in between the head light doors.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom