Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight replacement ....after market...???e

Hitzelberger

Corvette
2000 Yellow Roadster
I'm looking to replace my headlight bulbs with a better (brighter and better) type ....... has anyone had any luck in finding good replacements bright white vs. blue ... the best manufacture for replacement bulbs ...?????

Ron

You could try Hyper-Whites. I order them about a year ago from MID America Direct. Nice pure-white glow. Better beam than stock. I wouldn't say they're the best on the market but they're great for the money.

Sylvania also has a new HID bulb that's supposed to be top-notch. I believe it sells for around $50/set. Order two and get 1/2 off one the last I heard.

Good luck,
Kenny

Best bet is replace the entire lens assembly with the T-84 Euro lens, get a plug & play wiring adaptor and then run higher wattage H-4 bulbs. I am using Piaa 80-100 watt bulbs with a custom harness with relays :v

dont get those white Euro bulbs they distract other drivers and there have been numerous complaints they may not be allowed before you know it. I know those lights drive me crazy!

powderski13 said:
Best bet is replace the entire lens assembly with the T-84 Euro lens, get a plug & play wiring adaptor and then run higher wattage H-4 bulbs. I am using Piaa 80-100 watt bulbs with a custom harness with relays :v
this would be my choice..

I suggest trying the PIAA 1100xx foglight replacements. They change your foglights to driving lamps, thus making them have a useful beam pattern...unless you find the foglights useful for checking out speedbumps at slow speeds... They also kick the wattage up from 35 watts to 55 watts. Many people use the PIAA's by themselves, without headlights, and claim that they are brighter than the headlights with HID's too!

powderski13 said:
;stupid :_rock :m

SilverStars

Ron,

I changed out my stock bulbs for the Sylvania SilverStars with mixed results. The improvement on high beam is at least 300% (subjective guess here ;) ) with much whiter light and a very noticable distance improvement.

On low beam the improvement is not as noticable. You get the whiter light but the range and coverage did not significantly improve.

I do not think the mixed results I had are due to to the bulbs. I upgraded my 03 Silverado at the same time and got unbelivable results with both the high and low beams. My trucks low beams are now much better than the high was prior to the swap out.

Personally I suspect the lens design in the C5 could use a little work. Maybe the Euro lens with US DOT legal wattage bulbs to avoid the wiring harness conversions would work. Or as was suggested replacing the stock fog lights with PIA's to make up for the low beams while upgrading to SilverStars for the high beam improvement. BTW I changed out my stock fog light 883 bulbs for 885 bulbs at the same time. IMHO save your time and money as the bulb change did not make a noticable improvement.. more power did not help make up for a bad location and lens design..

SilverStars are US DOT Approved legal replacements unlike a lot of the "Whiter" lights and fake HID stuff being sold. As for the cost I bought a one set of four off e-Bay for $65.00, the other set at Wal-Mart was $85.00.

As for HID I researched doing a "true" HID conversion with the new lenses, ballasts, wiring harnesses, etc. I found prices from around $900 to $1400 for the systems depending on how complete it is packaged and the quality. None of the systems I found were plug and play for the C5 and required mods to the kit, or car, that voided their warranty. I was not willing to go this route as they are not DOT approved, impact your warranty, and the overall cost.

My 50 cents worth...:D

I have H4 setups on both my vettes...the most cost effective vs. function way to go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom