Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Headlight stuck down

T

tonybabb

Hi,

The passenger side headlight often won't raise on my 89 coupe. I turn the little black knob on top of the headlight motor a couple of turns and then it opens fine. The knob is often very tight. Could the motor be going past it's normal stop position? Is this repairable or do I need to replace the motor? I replaced the 3 plastic rollers and upgraded the gear to a brass from plastic a couple of years ago on both headlights and everything was fine. I've been having this problem for a while now and it's driving me nuts !!

Thanks for any advice.

Tony

Hi,

The passenger side headlight often won't raise on my 89 coupe. I turn the little black knob on top of the headlight motor a couple of turns and then it opens fine. The knob is often very tight. Could the motor be going past it's normal stop position? Is this repairable or do I need to replace the motor? I replaced the 3 plastic rollers and upgraded the gear to a brass from plastic a couple of years ago on both headlights and everything was fine. I've been having this problem for a while now and it's driving me nuts !!

Thanks for any advice.

Tony
You probly just need the 3 bushings!!:upthumbs

Probably not

I don't think that's the problem, I replaced them a couple of years ago when the headlight started "drooping" when it was open. Now the headlight sticks in the closed position. To open it I manually turn the little black knob on top of the headlight motor a couple of turns or less then operate the headlight switch and it comes up normally. It can be extremely tight when I manually turn it. Much tighter than the other headlight.

Thanks,

Tony

I don't think that's the problem, I replaced them a couple of years ago when the headlight started "drooping" when it was open. Now the headlight sticks in the closed position. To open it I manually turn the little black knob on top of the headlight motor a couple of turns or less then operate the headlight switch and it comes up normally. It can be extremely tight when I manually turn it. Much tighter than the other headlight.

Thanks,

Tony
Maybe it's got Krud in it!! Maybe the brass gear is going bad,you just need to take it apart and look at it!!:beer

That's a very good thought

Thinking about it, the little plastic rollers were very tight when I replaced them a couple of years ago - the original ones had just crumbled to dust. I assumed they'd loosen up with use - maybe they went out of round or something. Thanks !! I'll let you know what I find.

Tony

headlamp stuck closed

With my '92, the passenger headlamp is sticking closed on a regular basis. The knob on the motor will be jammed tight, indicating the motor pulls the bucket closed so tightly, it then cannot force it open the next time. I replaced the bushings and gears most recently 3 years ago, and both operated normally, as they did when repaired before that, and when new. Why suddenly, does the motor on only one side jam, and jam so tight on the close, so it will reluctantly reopen? The motors and all components operate properly except for this sticking. I have tried silicone spray on all moving pivot points to no avail. I drive every day, either leaving very early before sunrise, or late, after dark, so I encounter this issue daily, and it is VERY Frustrating. Has anyone found a permanent solution?

I have tried silicone spray on all moving pivot points to no avail.

Silicone spray isn't the best lubricant for this job. It sounds like a lack of lubricant problem to me. I like a light weight white grease, like CRC or Lubriplate to keep things moving smoothly. A little on the motor bearings as well as the gears and internal bushings should be a big help.

:w

Silicone spray isn't the best lubricant for this job. It sounds like a lack of lubricant problem to me. I like a light weight white grease, like CRC or Lubriplate to keep things moving smoothly. A little on the motor bearings as well as the gears and internal bushings should be a big help.

:w
Thank you for your response and insights. The reality is all moving components operate as they should without binding at all. That is what is baffling. The motor sticks, and only the passenger side in my case, when it is closed, by traveling past where it will easily turn to open. Could there be something amiss inside that motor? They are sealed, and if I replace it, it would be nice to be sure that would be a final fix.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom