Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Headlight Vacuum Cannister 80-82 "soupcan"

• Thread starter Thread starter drq1980
  • Start date Start date
D

drq1980

How easy is it to repair the Headlight Vacuum Cannister for an 80-82 Corvette? The soup can thing for headlight operations. I see it is no longer available and I would like to know if I can repair mine. (must have leak) ((its where I am losing vacuum))
Or better yet is it possible to completely by-pass the tank? Or would that be against all laws of vacuum mechanics? (3 tubes that go into the tank, could they be simply put on a T connector?) Or is there something in the tank itself that regulates the hoses? My impression was its only job was to hold vacuum, to operate the lights with engine off...(most certainly a huge rarity among C3 corvettes.) Seems way to easy a fix so I assume its foolish.....so back to my first question, is the tank difficult to repair?

Would think you could repair any minor leaks w/ solder or epoxy.

Wouldn't advise removing as the opening/closing of the headlites requires a significant volume and if the cannister wasn't there, the vacuum would drop and could affect engine operation for a short period. Not to mention would probably take longer for the lites to open/close.

BTW welcome to the CAC.

solder should work fine, make sure to paint it! haha i try to paint all the parts i take off.

Thanks all! I will take off the tank and seal it up. Running new hoses (zip) ((eckler backordered?)) for $50. Then I will install 2 new actuators...If that still does not work, I will install 2 new vacuum relays. At that point the system will be practically new.... This is my 2nd C3 and I WILL have working headlights whatever the cost.....:)
Then I move onto stopping the terrible leaking troubles from the T-Tops and windshield. To me a C3 with working headlights and no water leaks is a rare car indeed. All your help here on the forum is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all! I will take off the tank and seal it up. Running new hoses (zip) ((eckler backordered?)) for $50. Then I will install 2 new actuators...If that still does not work, I will install 2 new vacuum relays. At that point the system will be practically new.... This is my 2nd C3 and I WILL have working headlights whatever the cost.....:)
Then I move onto stopping the terrible leaking troubles from the T-Tops and windshield. To me a C3 with working headlights and no water leaks is a rare car indeed. All your help here on the forum is greatly appreciated!

drg, When I had problems w/ my '81 headlight system, I went to 1975 Corvette Convertible and the info there under "vacuum" gave me the guide lines to fix my problem w/o over-spending. It would be worth checking it out. Good Luck w/ the work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom