Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight

• Thread starter Thread starter secondchance
  • Start date Start date
S

secondchance

Has anyone converted to or is considering converting to a true HID system?

secondchance said:
Has anyone converted to or is considering converting to a true HID system?

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Hib Halverson may have some experience on doing this.

Hib is running Hella lights in his 95 ZR-1. I don't know anyone that has true HID lighting in a C4. That doesn't mean it hasn't been done,,just that I haven't heard of anyone with them.
Interesting question,though.

Hey guys - I've ordered up sylvania's HID system for the C4 - it awaits me at my buddy's house in Florida as we speak. I'll be down there at the end of the month, and bring it back with me.

Installation will take place thereafter. I will be in BG this coming May, so if you want to see what it looks like, that is the time and place.

Got a terrific deal on the HIDs - regularily $800, they had a sale on, dropping the price down to $499.

I'll let you know how it goes!!

:grinshot :upthumbs :Steer

If you don't mind post pics and what kind of improvement it makes after the install.
Going to Florida, huh? Real jealous of you. I lived in Orlando for 10 years. This time of the year down there is like a paradise.
Enjoy!!!:beer

No problem - I'll have to take some before and after shots of the lights and the way they light the road - expect something like this in February sometime. My buddy is just north of Miami, so temps should be pretty sweet - he has a Z06, and we will be dropping by Breathless Performance to see if we can't get him a nice horsepower fix!!!

Talk to ya later

:w :J

Hi gang -

Whats' the scoop on these HID's. For the $800 price tag - is it just a pair of bulbs (for both headlights), or is it a more complex set-up system/conversion.

and would it be too hasty to install them in a brand new C5? - i was thinking that (HID) would be one of 3 things (mods) i would do if i decided to purchase a brand new 03' C5. :Steer

DDSLT5 said:
Hey guys - I've ordered up sylvania's HID system for the C4 - it awaits me at my buddy's house in Florida as we speak. I'll be down there at the end of the month, and bring it back with me.
Installation will take place thereafter. I will be in BG this coming May, so if you want to see what it looks like, that is the time and place.
Got a terrific deal on the HIDs - regularily $800, they had a sale on, dropping the price down to $499.
I'll let you know how it goes!!:grinshot :upthumbs :Steer
Dwight,you are going to do a full write-up for the next KOTH issue,aren't you?:cool

Hey, UvetteIrace. Its a little more than just bulbs. From what I understand it involves at least bulbs and ballast. Sortta like flourescent light.

USA ZR1 said:
Dwight,you are going to do a full write-up for the next KOTH issue,aren't you?:cool

You got it Clint - I'm going to do a nice write up for ya - I have a weeks off at the end of the month, and I plan on spending a couple of days compiling a nice write-up for the KOTH.

Also, I think I'll do another write-up for the following issue of KOTH regarding the HID upgrade - I hadn't realized so few had done this upgrade, so I'll take some sweet pics, and do a step-by-step presentation for those who are interested in seeing the differences, and what is involved in this kind of a project.

Another project I'll be undertaking this summer is the switch from my Corsa 2.5 inch system to a Tri-flo 3 inch system with a 3 inch X-pipe. I'll do another write up on this project with pics, dyno charts, and dB readings as well as subjective reports - I plan on dynoing the car before and after - should be written up for the fall issue - lots of pics too.

How does this sound Clint?

When should I have the first write-up available to you?

Dwight :Roll

secondchance said:
Hey, UvetteIrace. Its a little more than just bulbs. From what I understand it involves at least bulbs and ballast. Sortta like flourescent light.

This is correct - the ballast is the part that 'ignites' the discharge. The Kit includes the bulbs, ballast, wiring, and a new HID projector style reflector housing - Please note that this new housing is required as the original housing will blind all oncoming motorists whether high or low beam. It is for this reason that there is no "legal" HID system on the market for the C5, and unless someone plans on engineering it (expensive to make whole new housing for the C5) it won't be available. Even the Hella lights which are plenty bright, are designed for off-road use only - this is because they blind oncoming traffic more than is acceptable. Also, the Hella lights draw more current than a regular set-up and may burn out the alternator more quickly. The HID does not draw any more amps/volts - it actually uses less.

hope this helps.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom