Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlights

Ol'Scratch

Corvette
1988 35th Anniversary Edition
Hello Folks!!...; I haven't been up here for awhile, I have an 88 35th edition C-4. Last year my headlights would roll up when you turned them on, and down when shut off, but not in unison. This year, the passenger side just gets up there sometimes, but drivers makes it halfway the kind of free wheels. With the hood up, I can see the little motor tops spinning for all their worth, but won't raise the lights all the way even if you spin them manually.... Is that the ill fated plastick fantastic gear. And has to be replaced with a brass gear???

Thank you all for any replies.

Yep, that sounds like a gear(s) failure

If the headlights do not work properly, like slow or irregular movement but the electric motor runs fine, then yes it would be a gear problem, which one, I can't say. But when a gearmotor assembly doesn't work right, IF the motor runs, ITS the gears.
Good Luck on your fix.
I know if you look around, they can be rebuilt, as you apparently know.
Happy driving,
Ron.

This problem could be caused by either the gears or the plastic pellets inside the large gear. The pellets are the most common problem. If you need new gears, be aware that the plastic gears will probably last another 25 years, and the brass gears may be so strong that the motor housing may crack if something gets jammed in the headlight. The pellets are about $3.00, and are available at most auto parts stores.

:w

This problem could be caused by either the gears or the plastic pellets inside the large gear. The pellets are the most common problem. If you need new gears, be aware that the plastic gears will probably last another 25 years, and the brass gears may be so strong that the motor housing may crack if something gets jammed in the headlight. The pellets are about $3.00, and are available at most auto parts stores.

:w

Thank you Sir!!...:beer I've already ordered the brass gear and pellets as well as gaskets from Rodney Dickman. I'll have them put in soon. I've been thinking of selling her, and you can't do that with the headlights not working correctly. I love the car, but my 68 year old bones have trouble gettin' out of the darn thing. 10 years ago when I had my last one I was still fairly nimble :chuckle But thank you none the less for your reply....:thumb

Drive On!!...
Fast Freddie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom