Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

heads and cam advice

642buteo

Corvette
1999 silver vette ,78 silver ann
Hi I have a stock 1978 L48 engine in my 1978 vette . Basically i would like to change the heads and get a cam that will lope and wake up my engine. I am basically only interested in changing that and would like to leave everything else original. My car is original right now.Any feedback on size of job and rough costs,hp gains etc would be welcome. Are 202 heads available new? Aluminum?.What type of cam ?. Thanks Dave B

If all you are going to change is the heads and cam, don't use heads with anything near 2.02 valves. Keep the stock valve sizes in your L48.

I'd take your stock heads off, have them treated to a street high-performance port and polish then add a mild aftermarket cam from Crane. I'd use a "small" hyd. roller. I'd also use the valves springs, lifters and pushrods recommended by Crane.

A combination such as that will work well with the low compression, low-performance intake manifold and stock exhaust.

As for the "size" of the job, that depends on your skills and experience working on cars. If you're not at least an "intermediate DIY" I'd pass on the job unless you're willing to use your own car to learn on. Even then, solid basic mechanical knowlege, skill working with machanical things and a factory service manual are. As for cost, as long as the short block of the engine is in good condition, the parts and head work probably will run you a $1500-2000. If the engine is high-mileage, you need to overhaul the rest of the engine at the same time and you need to figure on 3500-4000. You could expect 20-30 hp gain.

Thanks for the feedback ,i forgot to mention that engine has 85,000km on it and runs great. Should i consider a crate engine that meets needs and just save original engine untouched.

Thanks for the feedback ,i forgot to mention that engine has 85,000km on it and runs great. Should i consider a crate engine that meets needs and just save original engine untouched.

Chevy High Performance Magazine recently took this short-block

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=183227

added a CompCams 270H cam, GMPP 'Fast-Burn' heads, an RPM Air Gap intake, & a 650 Holley carb, then made 385 HP @ 5600 RPM, and 407 ft/lb TQ @ 4200 RPM:
the price was 'approx' $3800.....

If you arent going to change the intake and exhuast, the heads arent going to able to breath to their full ability. Why not get get a crate motor, fill your stock engine with oil, crate it and sit it in storage, if you sell the car...you have your stock untouched motor.

Will an Air gap or RPM manifold fit under a stock hood?

..... a buddy recently put an RPM Air-Gap vortec on his '80 L-48 with a Holley carb, and drop-base air-cleaner, and says he has clearence.

..... a buddy recently put an RPM Air-Gap vortec on his '80 L-48 with a Holley carb, and drop-base air-cleaner, and says he has clearence.

Thanks for the info! I just did a search and found what I was looking for. I think now that I'm flowing more air with the fuelie heads, exhuast and cam. The performer is a good stock replacement, but i want to get out as much as possible out of my heads.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom