Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heads and Cam

Marv02

Corvette
1986 C-4 Corvette
I ready to but a new set of heads and a Cam for my 1986 Vette.

What combo should I go with.

I planning to get a new intake also
I rebuilding the L98 back to a 350.

10 to 1 compression.

It a Califonia car and still has to get pass smog.

I want to beable driven everyday as a normal car be able to sit in LA trafic if needed.

Some more HP & TQ RMP range 1300 to 5200 working range.

I going though the Auto Trany at the same time.

With that mentality you could probably get away without doing new heads, and just have the ones you have worked on a bit. Do you have an AL head car?

Slightly milder bump stick otherwise you will be doing some tuning. TPIS bigmouth manifold, some SLP Siamese runners, with ported plenum. TPIS long tube headers, and good cat back. That should make a noticeable difference, and still have exceptional torque for the RPM range you have decided on.

It a Califonia Car I can not run headers everything MUST be CARB EO Numbers on them more or less.
I am rebuilding the motor anyways mite as do it right I don't want to pull the motor agan.

I have a Iron head motor and what others have said I better off get some aftermarket heads Ect No I don't want to spend the money on a set of $1000.00heads but what else I going to do.
They must be able to use the Stock EGR system.

The Cam I thinking of going with Is the Howards CL110931 288/288 Duration .447/.447 @050 C/L 111

I thinking of for heads Edelbrock 60909 or Trick Flows 195 @25

I not looking for a high RPM motor a evryday daily drive type set up.

With that mentality you could probably get away without doing new heads, and just have the ones you have worked on a bit. Do you have an AL head car?

Slightly milder bump stick otherwise you will be doing some tuning. TPIS bigmouth manifold, some SLP Siamese runners, with ported plenum. TPIS long tube headers, and good cat back. That should make a noticeable difference, and still have exceptional torque for the RPM range you have decided on.

I have a Iron head motor and what others have said I better off get some aftermarket heads Ect No I don't want to spend the money on a set of $1000.00heads but what else I going to do..
As I keep telling you, Vortecs
Cast iron , the inspector won't notice the difference

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97458/index.html

These heads are capable of supporting 400 hp on a relatively mild 350 engine and they work great on the street and actually can help provide some acceptable fuel economy. Chevy High Performance magazine did a series of articles based on a Goodwrench 350 and Vortecs and made some good power (just over 400 hp with some mild port work). They really are great street heads.
The down side? These heads are pretty much maxed out right out of the box. CHP only gained a few horses by doing the port work and proclaimed that GM apparently did their homework when they designed these heads because they're nearly perfect as is. In other words, you won't likely be able to do anything to them later on for increased performance.
To summarize, if you're looking for a very streetable small-block Chevy engine capable of producing nearly 400 hp for street use and occasional drag racing, Vortecs are a great choice.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12558060/

Is there a mod to add exhaust cross over holes to vortecs? I've done a few vortec intake gasket replacements, they all had an external tube that feeds the egr. The vortec heads have a small hole where that crossover would be(on a normal head), be it is a dead hole. The oem gaskets were plastic, so I'm pretty sure no exhaust went through them.

I've done a few vortec intake gasket replacements, they all had an external tube that feeds the egr. .
My mistake .fixed
In any case .the Edlebrock Hi Flow base he intends buying ( both reg and Vortec ) have provision for the exh crossover from pass side exh manifold as used on the alum head L98's

Call Comp Cams and tell them what you are looking for. They'll need the engine specs, emmission requirements, trans type and axle ratio but they are very helpfull and have helped us on a couple cars. It's free and if you like what you hear you can order direct.

Here my NEW motor build I just got done ordering SBC short block 355 flat top pistons 4 bolt main.
Melling Oil pump.
Howards Cam .447/.447 Duration @0505 288/288 214/214 C/L 111
Lifters
Push rods
Push rod guides
Gasket set.
Summit Racing Aluminum Head 170 Runner CARB EO approved.
1.5 roller tip rocker arms,
APR fasteners
TPIS
Big Mouth Manifold
Large Tube Runners
I am trying to keep looking stock much as I can.
Using all the stock tins.
I going for the sleeper look it looks and sounds stock but suprize it not.
I should be having 9.5 to 1 compression if all the numbers work out.
I already have the L98 Sold to a guy at work.
Cost of the Build just in parts. $2793.64
I don’t think it was that bad

Here my NEW motor build I just got done ordering SBC short block 355 flat top pistons 4 bolt main.
Melling Oip pump.
Howards Cam .447/.447 Duration @0505 288/288 214/214 C/L 111
Lifters
Push rods
Push rod guides
Gasket set.
Summit Racing Aluminum Head 170 Runner CARB EO approved.
1.5 roller tip rocker arms,
APR fasteners
TPIS
Big Mouth Manifold
Large Tube Runners
I am trying to keep looking stock much as I can.
Using all the stock tins.
I should be having 10 to 1 compression if all the numbers work out.
I already have the L98 Sold to a guy at work.
Cost of the Build just in parts. $2793.64
I don’t think it was that bad

an 86? you;re only 1 yr from being exempt...slow down a bit and let that yr pass then you are a "classic" car with smog exemptions. 25yrs is the magic number.

Not in CA it's 1975 and older only.

an 86? you;re only 1 yr from being exempt...slow down a bit and let that yr pass then you are a "classic" car with smog exemptions. 25yrs is the magic number.

Changed head order

I have change my order on the heads as others said I should do go with a larger runner. I changed them to.

Brand Trick Flow Specialties
Manufacturer's Part Number TFS-30400001
Part Type Cylinder Heads
Product Line Trick Flow® Super 23® 195 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Chevrolet
Summit Racing Part Number TFS-30400001

Cylinder Head Style Assembled
Cylinder Head Material Aluminum
Cylinder Head Finish Natural
Combustion Chamber Volume (cc) 62
CNC-Machined Combustion Chamber No
Intake Runner Volume (cc) 195cc
Exhaust Runner Volume (cc) 75cc
CNC-Machined Intake Runner No
CNC-Machined Exhaust Runner No
Intake Port Location Standard
Exhaust Port Shape D-port
Exhaust Port Location Standard
Spark Plug Style Angle
Intake Valves Included Yes
Intake Valve Diameter (in) 2.020 in.
Exhaust Valves Included Yes
Exhaust Valve Diameter (in) 1.600 in.
Valve Springs Included Yes
Maximum Valve Lift (in) 0.480 in.
Outside Diameter of Outer Spring (in) 1.250 in.
Damper Spring Included Yes
Number of Springs Per Valve Single
Retainers Included Yes
Retainer Material Chromemoly steel
Locks Included Yes
Lock Style 7 degree
Valve Stem Seals Included Yes
Valve Stem Seal Style Viton® fluoroelastomer
Rocker Arm Studs Included Yes
Rocker Arm Nut Thread Size 3/8-24 in.
Rocker Arms Included No
Rocker Arm Nuts Included No
Guideplates Included Yes
Guideplate Pushrod Size 5/16 in.
Valve Cover Mounting Style Perimeter bolt
Accessory Bolt Holes Drilled Yes
Intake Valve Angle 23
Exhaust Valve Angle 23
Valve Guides Included Yes
Valve Guide Material Manganese bronze
Valve Seats Machined Yes
Valve Seat Machine Style 3-angle
Valve Seat Material Tungsten
Steam Holes Drilled No
Oiling Style Through pushrod
Machined for O-Ring No
Heat Crossover Yes
CARB EO Number D-369-16 (pdf)
To see a list of qualifying vehicles, enter CARB EO Number D-369-16
Quantity Sold as a pair.
Notes Will not fit centerbolt-style intake manifolds.

I hope this is a better head it was only $54.00 more.

Sleeper Look

I like the sleeper look it's always fun messing with pepole.

I just sold my 1996 CR500 motor that I stuffed in to a 2005 CFR450X frame some knew what it was others knew something was up but just did not have a clue why it did not look like ther Stock CRF450's.

And other tryed to figure out why it did not sound like there CR250's.

On line dyno Numbers

I found a program that give you a computer dyno of your motor just put in the info and it there you are.
I don’t believe it 100% true but it gives me a ball park what I have built.
RPM’s.... 600.... 1100... 1600..... 2100..... 2600.... 3100...... 3600....... 4100...... 4600... 5100
TQ....... 256.... 308..... 327....... 341....... 381..... 391........ 419........ 427........ 425.... 385
Brk HP.. 29.43.. 64.49.. 99.49.... 136.39... 136..... 230.83.... 287.16.... 333.54.... 371.... 374.
(Sorry about all the periods but this is the only way I could get things to line up.)

On the dyno program it though headers and long tube fuel injection so I thinking minus 25 HP or so for No headers and TPI system.

Bottom line is
Max TQ 427 at 4100
RPMs max HP 374 at 5100 RPM's

I like these new HP and Tourqe numbers alot more than the Old stock ones 230 HP and 330 TQ, I picked up 144 more HP and 97 TQ I can live with this.

On the dyno program it though headers and long tube fuel injection so I thinking minus 25 HP or so for No headers and TPI system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom