Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heat barrier/Sound deadener

M

Maverick402

Does anybody know where to get a good heat barrier/sound deadener?

hello, there have been alot of prevoius postings on this subject. for heat barrier go to Lowe's they have an aluminum roll for about 15. helps with the sound a bit,but mostly for heat. see bobchad's webpage also.

Robin

I used "brown bread" (do a google for it to find suppliers). It's less than half the price of dynamat and atleast as good. I liked working with it better than dynamat as I had to heat the dynamat to form it and the BB could be installed without heat.

I used all of a 70 sq ft roll in mine. Floor and flat panel behind seats got one full layer and partial double layer. The rear cargo area got triple layer. Made a big difference in road noise and exhaust resonance + made the AC work better. I don't feel any heat coming through the floor anymore.

Lowes or Home depot

i got reflectix heat shield for the attic there...best described as 2 sheets of foil with bubble wrap in between....and a fresh roll of duct tape.....it works better for sound than heat...in time heat finds its way...just takes longer....i also used about 1/4 inch of carpet padding after the reflectix....but becarefull under the pedals.....and the seat bracket areas....no padding or insluation under the brackets....and leave the sensor wires out too....seat belt bolt holes open aswell....i have pic in the forums somewhere or i can e-mail them to ya if you would like to see my progressions.....
Good luck...this project is VERY worth the time and effort....and its about $25 total.
Chas:w

Maverick402 said:
Does anybody know where to get a good heat barrier/sound deadener?

zwede said:
I used "brown bread" (do a google for it to find suppliers). It's less than half the price of dynamat and atleast as good. I liked working with it better than dynamat as I had to heat the dynamat to form it and the BB could be installed without heat.

I used all of a 70 sq ft roll in mine. Floor and flat panel behind seats got one full layer and partial double layer. The rear cargo area got triple layer. Made a big difference in road noise and exhaust resonance + made the AC work better. I don't feel any heat coming through the floor anymore.

Crap. Looks like the price doubled since you posted this. It's the same cost as dynamat now.

http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

I forgot exactly what I used, but I first put down a layer of sound-proofing, then went with a separate layer of heat-protection.

Well, here are some more options.

www.fatmat.com
http://edesignaudio.com (edead)
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&manufacturer=34&sm=2&so=1
(cascade)

I think I am going to skip the reflectix because I would like a one-stop product and I'm not real worried about the heat (2nd car, 350 CID). That may change in the future.

I am leaning toward the "edead" vender and the price is quite reasonable.

Question, since I have a 71, I think I have a glass floorpan, is that correct? (sorry if it's a stupid question)

I used Reflextix also and had great luck with it. Used 3m adhesive spray to keep it in place which worked fine. All this was done to the inside of the car when I had it stripped out, I used it under the carpets and on the firewall. Had I known about this stuff, which was recommended to me by a CAC board member a few weeks ago, I would have used it on the firewall inside the car when it was apart:
http://www.coollizard.com

I think it would do a far superior job filling all the voids, but most likely not good for use under a carpet.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom