Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Heat related cut-out

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Ok the scenario~
When I get the underhood temps nice and toasty (stop and go traffic/autocrossing), I get a random engine cut out on acceleration. It is as if someone has a momentary switch and randomly pushes it.

I have 129K miles on the girl, replaced opti at 60/70K, computer replaced about 4/5 years ago. No other drivability problems. No codes are set, just frustrating. ANYone ever had somehting like this??
;help;help;help

What is your engine coolant temp at the time the engine cuts out? Are your fan(s) running?

Ok the scenario~
When I get the underhood temps nice and toasty (stop and go traffic/autocrossing), I get a random engine cut out on acceleration. It is as if someone has a momentary switch and randomly pushes it.

I have 129K miles on the girl, replaced opti at 60/70K, computer replaced about 4/5 years ago. No other drivability problems. No codes are set, just frustrating. ANYone ever had somehting like this??
;help;help;help
Yeah,I have had a couple rodeos with this type of problems!!Makes me want to bang my head!!:boogie:boogie:boogie
attachment.php

Most often I find a coil breaking down,but sometimes it's heat soak on the Ignition module,bad grounds,bad plug wires can cause these symptoms.:thumb
Even though there isn't any codes,I'd scan the Data Stream and Misfire History and see if I see whats happening when it's doing what it's doing!!:thumb

Electrical wild goose chase. Great! If my next post is done through my iPhone, it means I am stuck somewhere between Denver and Omaha.

No codes? No HISTORY codes either?

Some ignition faults DTC H41 will NOT light up SES.

Stick in a paper clip, and check...
84_93_code_display.JPG

I chased my IGM problem for 3 years before it finally died. Auto Zone has a tester for them. I just replaced mine. Problem with testing one is that it has to heat up to fail. Make sure you put the while heat transfer stuff on it before reinstalling it to the head. It is behind the coil.

Dana

I chased my IGM problem for 3 years before it finally died. Auto Zone has a tester for them. I just replaced mine. Problem with testing one is that it has to heat up to fail. Make sure you put the while heat transfer stuff on it before reinstalling it to the head. It is behind the coil.

Dana

Heat sink paste. Go to radio shack to get a tube, or even try take in the module to a local PC shop and hit the techie up for a dab.

Ok, replaced the ignition module. No luck. I will try the paper clip and see if I get anything.

Sorry for the delay, I had to replace the radiator, again. (Second time in 6 weeks) If it says one size fits all, it does not fit anything. I just installed a DeWitt and should be good to go now.

-M

Yeah,I have had a couple rodeos with this type of problems!!Makes me want to bang my head!!:boogie:boogie:boogie
attachment.php

Most often I find a coil breaking down,but sometimes it's heat soak on the Ignition module,bad grounds,bad plug wires can cause these symptoms.:thumb
Even though there isn't any codes,I'd scan the Data Stream and Misfire History and see if I see whats happening when it's doing what it's doing!!:thumb

ive got a picture of me looking real similar....lol
you may be my other brother, darrell

Injector leakage.

They become electronically 'lazy' with age, and do not hold tight against fuel pressure at the tips. You then get poor spray quality, bad atomization. Add heat, and you get even less atomization. Add more fuel for acceleration, it bogs and might stumble, cut out.

This is what cold-air induction is all about. Coolest air possible to mix with the fuel.

Do a fuel pressure leak-down test, and note pressure vs. time.

I don't suppose there is an easy way to do that? Is this a shop thing?

I don't suppose there is an easy way to do that? Is this a shop thing?

Shop gig? No.

You can do it yourself in 10 minutes. You DO need a pressure guage, and it's as easy as checking tire pressure, and watching how fast the pressure goes to 0. See youtube for reference vids to connect (but not entire procedure).

Fuel pressure guage? I will hunt around youtube and see what I can find.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom