Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater control valve - can I delete it?

Rodney Gold

Corvette
1986 White l98 coupe, 1995 LT1 coupe
My 86 vette (had a VERY hot C3 but it got sideswiped - so got a stock C4 instead) has no heat , hot pipes till the heater control valve , but the pipes going to the heater core are cold - thus no heat.
Importing a part and replacing it is a 3 week and expensive process - seen em for $140 or so but shipping etc makes it cost me more than double.
I have tried manually moving the arm , seems very stiff etc and doesnt feel right - wont return by itself and removing vaccum to it does nothing.
Im gonna try a repair - there are quite good instructions on the net.
However my Q is - can I delete this valve altogether and just run thru the core all the time?
Will this affect my AC? IE will I ALWAYS get hot air in the car?
Is there a risk of the heater core bursting?

Thanks for any info.

You can delete it but I wouldn't suggest heat all the time. You can reroute the hoses together in the engine bay and it will just circulate
back into the cooling system and bypass the heater core.

You will have heat in the car at all times. It will not be blowing unless you have the fan on, but it will affect the inside temp of the car. You could simply install a gate valve in place of it and manually open and close it. Or you could use a valve from a older car and run a push pull cable to it, kinda like a add on choke cable. The valve itself is simple, It works like a stove pipe damper. As long as the hoses fit the valve it doesnt really matter what you put in. Maybe you could even find a less expensive vacuum operated one.:beer

Sure.

That water control valve is not going to ruin your day.

The interior air temp is managed by the air-mix door. There might be heat in the air box, but it does not enter the cabin until the a/c control head (opt 68) or the manual lever opens the mix door.
I threw my control valve assy as far as I could after the GM replacement started leaking a month after purchace and the dealer refused to warranty without the sales receipt...My car has not had one in 15 yrs. The last 5 yrs were spent in Az where afternoons got close to 120 degrees. The a/c works fine.

Just run heater hose to the core fittings and plug the vac fitting. Done deal.
The core sometimes benefits by not having dry spots inside that promote corrosion.

To all , Thanks so much ,In the meantime will bypass the valve (It's winter here ..gets a little chilly) and hope the rest of the system is ok - like the heater core it's self. This is a little bit of a "bubba wuz there" car - tho not too badly so.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom