Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hello C4 Owners

tonytiger

Corvette
1992 Red Convertible
New to the forum guy here.Bought my first Vette last week.Its a 1992 convertible ,2 owner with 70K + miles.Wished I'd bought one lots sooner.
I've been out putting a few miles feeling it out and getting used to the car.The only 2 things so far is the oil temp gauge doesn't move and no spare tire came with the car.PO said lots of owners don't carry spares because they rattle and hard to get to?
Also looking for a cover.The car stays in a garsge with a concrete floor which is very dusty.So all I need is a bare bones dust cover.Any input on any of the above will be helpful.
Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
Welcome to the MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!:upthumbs

Misc

Welcome to the forum.
I've heard of someone writing the spare from the last GTO (the Holden import) will fit. I believe the spare serves as a structural cushion if the car is hit in the rear.
I believe there's something in the FSM on testing out the oil pressure gauge.
As far as car covers go, most will work in the situation you describe.

Welcome to the Corvette hobby "tonytiger"

I have a 95 and cover it with an outdoor cover from California Car Cover. I've tried a couple of other bands of covers over the years but have settled on California Car Cover as the brand I like. All four of our Corvettes use them.

As for the spare, if you don't have run flats, I'd get a spare. Whomever told you the spare is hard to get to and rattles is nuts. The tire is fairly easy to get out...easier than were the spares on C3s. As for rattling, it only rattles if the spare tire is the wrong size or the bolt the holds the spare tire cover on is too loose.

As for the temp gauge, the factory service manual will have information on how to troubleshoot and repair that. Might be the sender, might be the gauge or it might be the wiring.

Welcome to the Corvette hobby "tonytiger"

I have a 95 and cover it with an outdoor cover from California Car Cover. I've tried a couple of other bands of covers over the years but have settled on California Car Cover as the brand I like. All four of our Corvettes use them.

As for the spare, if you don't have run flats, I'd get a spare. Whomever told you the spare is hard to get to and rattles is nuts. The tire is fairly easy to get out...easier than were the spares on C3s. As for rattling, it only rattles if the spare tire is the wrong size or the bolt the holds the spare tire cover on is too loose.

As for the temp gauge, the factory service manual will have information on how to troubleshoot and repair that. Might be the sender, might be the gauge or it might be the wiring.

Thanks for the detailed info.
Tony

Welcome & congrats, I'm sure you can find a spare on ebay, is the spare tire tub & hanging hardware still with the car? if not they are also available.

Attachments

• DSC01716.jpg
    DSC01716.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC01718.jpg
    DSC01718.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Welcome & congrats, I'm sure you can find a spare on ebay, is the spare tire tub & hanging hardware still with the car? if not they are also available.

Yes,the tub and hardware is all there.If I have run Flats will it state it on the tire?
Thanks,
Tony

My 2 Vettes rest in a garage with a concrete floor also. I put down a plastic drop cloth where the cars sit, to slow down moisture from the concrete. So far the 72 has been over plastic for over 20 years, and I've had to deal with very little surface rust through the years.. As Hib has stated, California covers are a good product.

Cheers
:beer

Yes,the tub and hardware is all there.If I have run Flats will it state it on the tire?
Thanks,
Tony

It would say on the tire, but I believe the only C4 that had the run-flat option was the 1996 model. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom