Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP!! 72 side glass decoding

chevyman1759

Corvette
1972 elkhart green coupe
Restoring 72 coupe which has no door glass. Need to know what numbers and letters need to be on this glass. 1st owner claimed it came with tinted glass. Will it say tinted on it or just say Soft-Ray? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Your window glass should have a LOF (Libby-Owens-Ford) logo along with "Safety Plate" and with a etched date code indicating month & year that the glass was manufactured. For example, the glass date code for my February '72 built coupe is "XY" and my April '72 built convertible is "GY". Also, there should be a a "AS1" stamp on the windshield and the side windows and rear glass should have a "AS2" stamp. These are the clarity and type of glass codes. Also, the side windows should have a etched stamp reading "Safety Flo Lite" and a white silk screened "Astro Ventilation".

The term "Soft Ray" or "Soft Ray Tinted" was used on earlier Corvette models window glass, being phased out around 1968-1969 or so if I'm remembering correctly.

HTH

72 side glass

Called the original owner again. He found one window in his shed and was able to read the letters. It has the word Soft-Ray on it then safety plate below it and the LOF box between the two words. Then it has AS2.......NY. Below that is solid tempered then Dot 15 M54. He claims it is tinted glass,but he said it does not say tint on it anywhere. The reason he did not give me the glass was it was to scratched up to repair. I can't see the glass due to him being in another state.I don't know if any of the letters tell you if it is tinted or not.

I would have to check, but I believe the "Soft Ray" or "Soft Ray Tinted" glass tag ceased to be used due to the tinted glass option being dropped from production and being made standard equipment on the Corvette line. Tinted glass was not an option for a '72 model. I find it a bit strange that the PO wouldn't let you have what is supposely the original glass due to it being too scratched up to repair? If it's junk, why not let you have it?

FWIW

Do you have the NCRS 70-72 Judging Guide? It explains most of the codes and dates you are going to want for your restoration. Do you have a good photo reference work? This one is good.
ql507-1.jpg

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom